Hello family, friends and Colin-supporters!
Well, Johns Hopkins is behind us. We saw one doctor - I stress - one doctor - who gave us her (lone), professional opinion on Colin's GI status. The verdict: he likely will never outgrow either his esophageal dysmotolity or gastroparesis. I'll be honest that it was no different than being punched in the gut when you weren't looking as those words passed her lips.
Unfortunately, that wasn't even the worst part. She seemed concerned that we hadn't adequately ruled out cystic fibrosis given Colin's clinical presentation (she wants to re-test his pancreatic enzymes). I would rather not "handle" either of the above scenarios, but the latter is definitely the more devastating of the two. A diagnosis of CF would change everything.
But the more I processed it, I realized two very important things: 1. every doctor's opinion is not gospel - they can be (and are) wrong about diagnoses, and 2. God is the true healer. So, call it my defense mechanism to cope with all of this uncertainty, but until we have definitive answers, I just have to believe all will be okay. I pray this is the case. I pray.
So, in rolls the clouds of doubt over our heads. We've dealt with worse - or at least I keep telling myself. The one thing that remains a constant in all of this is the beauty that is my son. That boy is amazing! What a blessing! He is our sunshine, and quite frankly, keeps us sane! :-) It's amazing watching his continued growth and development. What a great time this is, really! I hope you like the new pics!
Continued thanks for all of your loving support!
Tuesday, November 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Look What I'm Holding!
Daddy's wedding band no longer slides up my arm. Now I can only fit 2 fingers inside!
Colin Voting
"Nadar For Change" - Vote Revealed!
Waiting to Vote is Fun!
Hanging out with Cousin
Colin and Cousin Janek with family
Colin testing his new stroller
I'm Cool Like Mike - the "real" Uncle
Ready For Some Football!
Go Panthers!!!
Eating His Stuffed Upper GI Toy
This is Some Good Esophagus!
Sweet Potatoes Rule!
Cousin Karolina
Friends Kate, Alex and Marta
Dr. Saunders (Colin's eye doc)
Dr. Melton - Mommy/Daddy Colleague
Colin's Audiology Appointment
If I Tug Really Hard...
Isabella, Colin & Royaa
Royaa with Mom & Dad
It tastes better on the elbow!
Isabella and the No-Look Grab :-)
Barium Lips - Yummy!
Nurse Chris
Dr. Rama
Dr. Greenberg
Tongue Sticker-Outer
Medical Staff at Hemby
Nurse Ania - and Mommy Ania
Nurse Deb holds the Elvis Impersonator
Colin and his Australian Wombat
Aunt Ania's Gift to Colin

3 comments:
Thank you so much for the update!...I was thinking about you guys and how it went at JH.
I totally agree with you about the doctor not knowing everything. I know they are well educated, but sometimes I think all that education makes them forget that they can't predict the future. Especially since there is so much unknown about the GI, etc in micropreemies anyway. Wish you could have seen more than one doc...I know you probably do too!
Of course even 10 doctors still can't tell you what will happen in the future. Like you said, only God is in control and knows what the outcome will be. It would just be nice if He would drop a sign from the sky and let us in on His plan though!
When do you do the pancreatic enzyme testing? Can you do it in Charlotte, or do you make another trip to JH?
Lots of love and prayers,
Celeste
ps...Is Mr. C ready for his big day coming up? :)
Thanks, Celeste. The PE testing will be done here locally. We have to collect stool samples for 3straight days then they'll analyze the stools for fat.
Mr. C IS ready for his B-day! We'll celebrate both on his B-day (Mon) and the following Saturday.
Talk soon!
It is so great and inspiring to read your positive outlook and joy with Colin!! LOVE, LOVE the pictures too!!!! Can't believe it has been so long since we have seen Colin (and Mom and Dad too)!?! We always have you all in our thoughts and prayers.
Love,
The Bracciante's
Post a Comment