A week of transition this has turned out to be: mom finished up her maternity leave and went back to work Monday. In her place, Dad is taking 2 weeks of "paternity" leave - okay, 2 weeks of vacation. Whatever. I get to spend it with my son, that's all I know!
It's been tough for Mommy, as would be expected. A little separation anxiety, but hanging in there. Meanwhile, Daddy has been eating up his time with Colin. It's still exhausting having to wake him (and myself) every 3 hours for feeding, but it's just part of our roles as parents of a preemie. Parents with full-termers that sleep through the night I want to hear no complaints from you! ;-) We have to make it to 12 pounds or so before we can put Mr. Man down for the night so he can get extended sleep. That should translate into another month or so given his average weight gain.
Speaking of eating - Holy Moses! It takes an "act of God" for this little man to eat! We try everything, but Colin just doesn't eat much. The doctors are amazed that he's even growing since he takes in less than he should every day. Colin should be eating between 4-6 ounces per feeding. Instead, we get anywhere between 1-2 ounces routinely, 3 if it's a very special day! I'm telling you, it is such a struggle. The newest "trick" to get him to eat is when I stand on my head, hold Colin upside-down between my feet, and sing kumbaya off-key while chewing on a Snickers bar and wrinkling my nose. This at least holds his attention for a little while while he sucks on his bottle ;-)
The answer to this issue hopefully will come in the form of a speach therapist who he should start seeing in the coming couple of weeks or so. Turns out that Colin "sucks" using only his tongue to get the milk out of the bottle. When you look at him, his lips only "lay" on the nipple while eating, and he doesn't actively use them to eat. This makes his suck inefficient, and he tires more easily this way. It probably didn't help that he was fed through a tube for the first 2-3 months of his life. So maybe by "showing him the way" and teaching him the proper way to suck, our little guy will start sprouting and really packing on the lbs.
Colin's reflux issue is still that - an issue. But it seems to be getting better as he gradually gets bigger. Instead of vomiting several times per day, we're down to once - maybe twice per day. I'm still waiting for the day when we can go 24 hours without cookie-tossing.
Mr. Man may also be starting to teeth! He's got a little drool - not much - but he seems to have all the other symptoms: hands or blankets or something constantly in the mouth, becoming more fussy than normal, and he's was running a low-grade fever there for several days. No pearly whites poking through quite yet, but we may see some soon?
Other than that, Colin is doing well. He doesn't really have any more episodes of bradycardia or apnea (scattered here or there). So we're thinking he won't be on the monitors for much longer. We love watching him improve, grow and develop. This really is a great time. However, I'd be lying if I said I didn't care much about him being able to sleep through the night and be off his monitors. THAT will be such huge steps forward for him and us, and on many levels it'll get easier for us. Of course, there will be new challenges ahead as any parent goes through, but to get to a point where we can experience "normal" parenting issues will be amazing.
For those of you kind enough to keep reading this blog, make sure to check back in during the week next week for some updated photos. I should have some really special ones to share. Until then, it's my little secret :-)
Thursday, June 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Look What I'm Holding!
Daddy's wedding band no longer slides up my arm. Now I can only fit 2 fingers inside!
Colin Voting
"Nadar For Change" - Vote Revealed!
Waiting to Vote is Fun!
Hanging out with Cousin
Colin and Cousin Janek with family
Colin testing his new stroller
I'm Cool Like Mike - the "real" Uncle
Ready For Some Football!
Go Panthers!!!
Eating His Stuffed Upper GI Toy
This is Some Good Esophagus!
Sweet Potatoes Rule!
Cousin Karolina
Friends Kate, Alex and Marta
Dr. Saunders (Colin's eye doc)
Dr. Melton - Mommy/Daddy Colleague
Colin's Audiology Appointment
If I Tug Really Hard...
Isabella, Colin & Royaa
Royaa with Mom & Dad
It tastes better on the elbow!
Isabella and the No-Look Grab :-)
Barium Lips - Yummy!
Nurse Chris
Dr. Rama
Dr. Greenberg
Tongue Sticker-Outer
Medical Staff at Hemby
Nurse Ania - and Mommy Ania
Nurse Deb holds the Elvis Impersonator
Colin and his Australian Wombat
Aunt Ania's Gift to Colin

3 comments:
We continue to savor our Colin Blog moments and I love to hear about his progress. I am at the hospital with my Mom today and proud to say she she is doing very well too. She is getting an MRI done now and when she comes back I will alert her of Colin's progress. We hope that Chunky Monkey gets that bottle suckin' down soon - he'll be a happier kid once he can pack on the pounds. We are proud of him and his relentless desire to progress and move forward. It seems that every few weeks another of his "issues" subsides and becomes old news.
We continue to hope and pray that Colin is close to being able to finish the first chapter in his amzing life "My Fighting First Year"...and move ahead to the next exciting one "Livin' on Easy Street".
We love you - Matt, Megan and Brian
Ania and Bobby,
I have been checking on Colin's progress and it has been a few months since I have been able to so I was amazed at his progress. When I saw the picture of Bobby and Colin asleep, I teared up. I am still in awe of this beautiful baby boy. Congratulations again. I am so happy for you all.
Love, Karla Rice
I Colin I still check each week to see if there are any updates on you. I am glad to hear you are doing very well. May God bless you,Mom and Dad. Keeping you all in my prayers everyday.
Post a Comment