Friday, November 30, 2007

Daddy's Turn...

Tonight, I am a new man. Having held my son for 1.5 hours is an experience that I will take to the grave; something I will never forget; something that has changed me. Leading up to it, the nervous twitters of butterflies jostled in my gut. I hadn't felt this nervous in years. I had no reason to be, but nerves will not be denied when the emotions are there - at least not with me. Will he rest comfortably? Will he cry? Will I do something wrong? I'm usually pretty cool under pressure, but this was territory for which I was not familiar.
As I went to place my hand gently under him, first under his head, then under his rear end, I felt how delicate and soft his cranial bones were (it's not comforting when the head almost feels as soft and pliable as the belly. I'm used to my own hard noggin, so a soft one is the ultimate reminder to be careful with every movement). As I raised him and sat in the chair, I took a moment to look at this amazing and miraculous little person. I was in awe; at a loss of words. Ania grabbed that moment with a photo - shown right. It was incredible to say the least. Next, I brought him to my chest and he nuzzled in immediately. His right leg was sort of tucked in beneath him while his left leg was stretched out, foot resting on one of my ribs. His left hand under my shirt, right hand over. He was so warm, so perfect. Before I knew it, he was out like a light. I took immense pleasure as he would periodically jostle around: moving a foot here, and hand there. That little life became real to me tonight, and really for the first time I realize that I am a dad now. I know that sounds crazy being that my son is now 2 weeks old today, but everything was so surreal before. Now that I've held him, his existence is no longer surreal, rather it's real. Very real. And he's mine; he's ours. Ania and I did that?! The phrase "miracle of life" is just that: a miracle. Our miracle. Thank you all for sharing in it...

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Ania, Bobby and Colin,
I have just read all of your entrees and viewed the photos of your precious little boy. Bobby your words fills everyone who reads with joys of tears. You have all been in my prayers throughout this journey and will remain. Can't wait to see more pics of little Colin Robert Hamp! P.S. Ania you look great! Blessing to all of you. Markitta

Anonymous said...

Wow.... there are no words to describe how wonderful it is to see the two of you holding your little miracle. He is amazing and the two of you are in for a wonderful ride. You may not have held him right away but he knew he wanted to be held and worked so hard to get strong enough so he could feel his mommy's heart again!! Lots of love to all of you. With my morning coffee one of the first things i do is check on my little Colin. Love Maggie

Anonymous said...

Between the photos and your words describing how you felt holding your son the first time, I don't know which is more moving? Wow!! and tears of joy are my reaction.
Joyce

Anonymous said...

Colin,

I just ate some lunch and went down for a nap and I wanted you to know that Daddy and I said a special prayer for you again. I know when I was younger I loved to sleep on my Mommy or Daddy's chest...there was no safer and more peaceful place on earth. This morning it was cold so I didn't go outside but Daddy and I played inside. We played catch with a football and we cooked in my play kitchen. After I wake up we might go for a walk in the dark...it is really cool. I love the moon and stars. Well I will write you again tonight or tomorrow morning and keep you updated on football scores!!! See ya buddy.

Brian Bracciante

Aldona said...

Bobby,

Thank you again and again for the most
beautiful and touching reading experience
ever! Thank you for your honesty and such a sensitivity in describing
you first 'daddy experience'.
Your reports always bring both joy and tears.
And for your information,
your little son looks not so little anymore
against your, not so little hands.
We are very proud of your 'trio' and you all are
miracle and blessing to us!

Love,

Aldona and Robert

Anonymous said...

Hi to a new little family. I am Matt's Mom and Brian's Gma....
I will pray for all of you while you live in the grace of God.
When I was born, I was full term and 4.5 pounds. It was the dark ages and they did not let my mom see me for two weeks because I was in a heated crib. Mom was pretty upset. Anyway...here I am and you will grow each day strong and beautiful.
Much love and I will be very happy to meet you someday.
Love, Bonnie Bracciante

Anonymous said...

Thank you Bobby and Ania for providing this blog to allow us to keep up with the two of you and Collins progress. We will continue to monitor things as you post them. You are all in our prayers.

Gary Brough

Anonymous said...

It is hard to hold back the tears with these entries...so happy for you all that you were able to snuggle together!!! Love, Megan

Anonymous said...

Dear Ania, Bobby and baby Colin,
We continue to pray for your continued strides that you struggle so hard to accomplish.
Your Mommy and Daddy are most special as they meet each and every challenge in your behalf.
We ask God to protect not just you little one but those who care for you each and every day. They are the silent heroes in your camp.
You are special and before long you will say "Yeah, that used to be me...and look at me now".
Many caring prayers, Bonnie B.

Look What I'm Holding!

Look What I'm Holding!
Daddy's wedding band no longer slides up my arm. Now I can only fit 2 fingers inside!



Colin Voting

Colin Voting

"Nadar For Change" - Vote Revealed!

"Nadar For Change" - Vote Revealed!

Waiting to Vote is Fun!

Waiting to Vote is Fun!


Hanging out with Cousin

Hanging out with Cousin

Colin and Cousin Janek with family

Colin and Cousin Janek with family

Colin testing his new stroller

Colin testing his new stroller

I'm Cool Like Mike - the "real" Uncle

I'm Cool Like Mike - the "real" Uncle






Ready For Some Football!

Ready For Some Football!

Go Panthers!!!

Go Panthers!!!

Eating His Stuffed Upper GI Toy

Eating His Stuffed Upper GI Toy
This is Some Good Esophagus!

Sweet Potatoes Rule!

Sweet Potatoes Rule!

Cousin Karolina

Cousin Karolina

Friends Kate, Alex and Marta

Friends Kate, Alex and Marta

Dr. Saunders (Colin's eye doc)

Dr. Saunders (Colin's eye doc)

Dr. Melton - Mommy/Daddy Colleague

Dr. Melton - Mommy/Daddy Colleague

Colin's Audiology Appointment

Colin's Audiology Appointment




If I Tug Really Hard...

If I Tug Really Hard...

Isabella, Colin & Royaa

Isabella, Colin & Royaa

Royaa with Mom & Dad

Royaa with Mom & Dad
It tastes better on the elbow!

Isabella and the No-Look Grab :-)

Isabella and the No-Look Grab :-)

Barium Lips - Yummy!

Barium Lips - Yummy!

Nurse Chris

Nurse Chris

Dr. Rama

Dr. Rama

Dr. Greenberg

Dr. Greenberg

Tongue Sticker-Outer

Tongue Sticker-Outer

Medical Staff at Hemby

Medical Staff at Hemby

Nurse Ania - and Mommy Ania

Nurse Ania - and Mommy Ania

Nurse Deb holds the Elvis Impersonator

Nurse Deb holds the Elvis Impersonator

Colin and his Australian Wombat

Colin and his Australian Wombat
Aunt Ania's Gift to Colin

Obi Wan Colinobi

Obi Wan Colinobi

In a Milk-Stupor

In a Milk-Stupor

What do you Think of That, Colin?

What do you Think of That, Colin?

Thumbs Up, Colin?

Thumbs Up, Colin?




Heisman Trophy Pose?

Heisman Trophy Pose?

Bathtime is my Favorite!

Bathtime is my Favorite!