"Oh, this will be so much easier on both you guys and Colin" is what we've heard from numerous health professionals about Colin's feeding tube. Really? What have they all been collectively smoking? ;-) I suppose I could take the opportunity to complain about the fact that it is actually NOT any easier on Mom and Dad (it still takes about 1 hour to feed start to finish, meaning we have 2 hours in between before starting the process all over again). And because of the contraption we use to feed him with, there's really no opportunity to travel (too cumbersome with the equipment, not to mention the tubing that we feed him through needs to be refrigerated in between feedings).
However, all that being said, I will decidedly NOT complain about it. The bottom line is this is definitely easier on Colin, which is all that matters. He eats as much as he wants without struggle, and gets the nutrition he needs to grow. As he gets more calories in him, his body will demand more food, and eventually will turn on the mechanism that says, "Feed me, I'm hungry!" - at which point he'll do it all on his own.
I've actually already seen a change in him. He's more relaxed when he eats. He's even more happy than he was before, and more playful. In fact, last night was awesome. I held him in both hands, so he was lying flat on his back. I would raise him above my head, then lower him down, giving the "Weeeee!" sound when I would raise and lower him. Man, did he think that was a blast! Flat-out giggly he was. And 2 days after surgery too. What a trooper.
I don't want to get ahead of myself here, but he's definitely off to a good start. Time will tell, but I'm already feeling better about our decision, even if it means we have to throw out our anchor and stay put at home for a while. It just means catching up on some movies, and tons of cuddles with our little guy. Maybe all those health care professionals knew what they were talking about after all?
Friday, July 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Look What I'm Holding!
Daddy's wedding band no longer slides up my arm. Now I can only fit 2 fingers inside!
Colin Voting
"Nadar For Change" - Vote Revealed!
Waiting to Vote is Fun!
Hanging out with Cousin
Colin and Cousin Janek with family
Colin testing his new stroller
I'm Cool Like Mike - the "real" Uncle
Ready For Some Football!
Go Panthers!!!
Eating His Stuffed Upper GI Toy
This is Some Good Esophagus!
Sweet Potatoes Rule!
Cousin Karolina
Friends Kate, Alex and Marta
Dr. Saunders (Colin's eye doc)
Dr. Melton - Mommy/Daddy Colleague
Colin's Audiology Appointment
If I Tug Really Hard...
Isabella, Colin & Royaa
Royaa with Mom & Dad
It tastes better on the elbow!
Isabella and the No-Look Grab :-)
Barium Lips - Yummy!
Nurse Chris
Dr. Rama
Dr. Greenberg
Tongue Sticker-Outer
Medical Staff at Hemby
Nurse Ania - and Mommy Ania
Nurse Deb holds the Elvis Impersonator
Colin and his Australian Wombat
Aunt Ania's Gift to Colin

1 comment:
So, so happy to hear Colin continues to do well and loves playing "airplane"! With much love and prayers, Amber, Scott and Ella
Post a Comment