Sunday, March 9, 2008

Making the Transition

It was surreal. "Are you sure we can just walk out with our baby?" was the question that both Ania and I had on our minds. We were so used to visiting Colin in the hospital, then leaving without him. Not this time. This time, Colin ventured outside of the confines of the ICN for the first time.
It was an emotion-filled occasion. Bitter-sweet, for sure. Over the nearly 4 months Colin was in the hospital, we had really formed a bond with several nurses who took care of him - his primary nurses. It worked out perfectly though: starting friday morning, Colin had one of his primaries taking care of him. She handed off at shift change to another one of his primaries. A third came to visit him friday night (she only drove 45 minutes to come see him)! Then Saturday morning, Colin had his last 2 primary nurses with him. So, Ania and I got to spend time with and say our goodbyes to all of these special people who poured love into and took care of our special little boy. And of course, they all took the opportunity to give Colin their last bits of sugar! We can never thank enough these amazing nurses. I will use tomorrow's blog to thank them more appropriately.
As we gathered up our miracle bundle, we started heading to the exit doors. The doctors stopped to say goodbye, even other parents were cheering us on! It felt like we were starring in our own movie, and the credits were about to role across the screen. And then that was it. We walked out, took the elevator down, and walked out of the hospital all together and got into the minivan - much respect to the minivan! ;-) We documented the occasion with a few photos, and then we were off.
The ride home was smooth. Colin slept the whole way with Mommy by his side. We got home and got him settled in, and then it was just the 3 of us. No nurses. No doctors. No other screaming babies next to Colin in the ICN! Oh my goodness I felt sorry for some of those parents! ;-)
It was strange being home with him, but it felt so right at the same time. Our son was home, in his home. Taking care of him won't be easy, just like any other set of parents have with their children. We'll be sleep-deprived. But every time we hear a cry or a fuss or have to change those stinky, stinky diapers, it'll just be a fresh reminder of our awesome responsibility to take care of this precious baby. And I couldn't imagine it any other way.
I can't end this entry without saying that we had many friends call us yesterday to tell us congratulations. We had some special gifts and cards sent to us yesterday, and even had freshly-made dinner prepared for us and dropped off. It was all very much appreciated! But this is one time I have to single out one very special set of friends who went "above and beyond" welcoming Colin home: Aunt MBC and Uncle Lupe. As if a sweet card and fresh-baked cookies from them wasn't enough, they did something else for the 3 of us. I took a photo of the crime scene (posted) of what those sneaky little people did to our garage door. What a wonderful surprise! Thank you guys! I still can't believe you snuck in and did that! :-)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

CONGRATULATIONS! CONGRTAULATIONS! CONGRATULATIONS! Oh what a GLORIOUS DAY! Pleas continue this blog this is the high light of my day when I come in from work,I turn the computer on to see how you are doing. By the way did I say CONGRATULATIONS! Will still keep prayers coming your way even though we no GOD has always been with you.

Anonymous said...

So good to finally meet little Colin -- he is absolutely adorable. Hope you both were able to get at least a little rest Sat and Sun! I look forward to more updates soon and to following Colin's progress. Prayers continue for the three of you!

Pamela Brady

Look What I'm Holding!

Look What I'm Holding!
Daddy's wedding band no longer slides up my arm. Now I can only fit 2 fingers inside!



Colin Voting

Colin Voting

"Nadar For Change" - Vote Revealed!

"Nadar For Change" - Vote Revealed!

Waiting to Vote is Fun!

Waiting to Vote is Fun!


Hanging out with Cousin

Hanging out with Cousin

Colin and Cousin Janek with family

Colin and Cousin Janek with family

Colin testing his new stroller

Colin testing his new stroller

I'm Cool Like Mike - the "real" Uncle

I'm Cool Like Mike - the "real" Uncle






Ready For Some Football!

Ready For Some Football!

Go Panthers!!!

Go Panthers!!!

Eating His Stuffed Upper GI Toy

Eating His Stuffed Upper GI Toy
This is Some Good Esophagus!

Sweet Potatoes Rule!

Sweet Potatoes Rule!

Cousin Karolina

Cousin Karolina

Friends Kate, Alex and Marta

Friends Kate, Alex and Marta

Dr. Saunders (Colin's eye doc)

Dr. Saunders (Colin's eye doc)

Dr. Melton - Mommy/Daddy Colleague

Dr. Melton - Mommy/Daddy Colleague

Colin's Audiology Appointment

Colin's Audiology Appointment




If I Tug Really Hard...

If I Tug Really Hard...

Isabella, Colin & Royaa

Isabella, Colin & Royaa

Royaa with Mom & Dad

Royaa with Mom & Dad
It tastes better on the elbow!

Isabella and the No-Look Grab :-)

Isabella and the No-Look Grab :-)

Barium Lips - Yummy!

Barium Lips - Yummy!

Nurse Chris

Nurse Chris

Dr. Rama

Dr. Rama

Dr. Greenberg

Dr. Greenberg

Tongue Sticker-Outer

Tongue Sticker-Outer

Medical Staff at Hemby

Medical Staff at Hemby

Nurse Ania - and Mommy Ania

Nurse Ania - and Mommy Ania

Nurse Deb holds the Elvis Impersonator

Nurse Deb holds the Elvis Impersonator

Colin and his Australian Wombat

Colin and his Australian Wombat
Aunt Ania's Gift to Colin

Obi Wan Colinobi

Obi Wan Colinobi

In a Milk-Stupor

In a Milk-Stupor

What do you Think of That, Colin?

What do you Think of That, Colin?

Thumbs Up, Colin?

Thumbs Up, Colin?




Heisman Trophy Pose?

Heisman Trophy Pose?

Bathtime is my Favorite!

Bathtime is my Favorite!