Monday, March 3, 2008

Surgery Day

I can't help but be a little nervous. I know hernia surgery is fairly routine in preemies, but it's still surgery and there are still inherent risks. The surgery itself takes 45 min - 1 hour. Colin will have to be under general anesthesia as well, which carries it's own set of risks. Not to mention, the nurses already had difficulty starting his IV line this morning and had to use a vein in his head instead of an arm or leg. I'm sure that feels good. But what choice do they have? The IV had to be placed in part because he is NPO (no oral feedings) since 2:00 am and he has to get some fluids. Anyway, this appears to be our last big hurdle while Colin is in the hospital. If all goes well, it's just a matter of days and we'll finally get to take him home!
Not that we're totally clear of other hurdles though. The acid reflux continues to be an issue. What they started to do yesterday was mix in some rice cereal with the breast milk to weigh it down and give it less of an opportunity to regurgitate back up into the throat. So far, it seems to be working well as Colin has been taking up to 2 full ounces per feeding, or 60 cc's. There's less spit up than before too. We hope this is the answer as our little guy needs some relief :-( Please keep Colin in your thoughts today! :-)

8 comments:

Nikola said...

We're all thinking about you Colin and hoping the surgery is as routine as can be. We love you.

Aunt Nikola and family

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the sugery today and you will surely be in our prayers. We can't wait for the Big Man to get home to play!

Aleque and Logan :)

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited for you guys! I've been reading this blog every day and I am so glad he is pulling though so well. I shall certainly keep Colin and all of you in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

you are all in our prayers, today and every day, as big man "C" navigates his way to being HOME!!!

we're cheering for you!!!!

love, the lupes

Anonymous said...

Yea - Miracle Monday is finally here. Can't wait to hear an update.

Anonymous said...

We know it is really really hard to see chunky monkey go through this surgery. We just want you to know that Colin is always in our prayers and more so today as he jumps through another hurdle. He knows that he needs to come home soon so we all get a chance to play with Mr. C. He will do his best to get home soon for mom, dad and his huge extended family, he is fighter and he knows it :)

with love and prayers

Gayatri and Nirav

Anonymous said...

We are thinking about you Colin and praying that your surgery went smoothly. We were happy to read about your weekend with your Mommy and Daddy! Sounds like it was a lot of fun!! Soon enough, you'll be home and haning with them all the time!

God Bless you,
M&M&B

Aldona said...

We love you and everything but please don't keep us too long in the suspense. I know, I know...you have a lot on your plate today.

We are so intensely with you today and our hearts expand because we care.
God is with you every moment to balance off your worry and concerns.

Love,

Zembowicz Family

Look What I'm Holding!

Look What I'm Holding!
Daddy's wedding band no longer slides up my arm. Now I can only fit 2 fingers inside!



Colin Voting

Colin Voting

"Nadar For Change" - Vote Revealed!

"Nadar For Change" - Vote Revealed!

Waiting to Vote is Fun!

Waiting to Vote is Fun!


Hanging out with Cousin

Hanging out with Cousin

Colin and Cousin Janek with family

Colin and Cousin Janek with family

Colin testing his new stroller

Colin testing his new stroller

I'm Cool Like Mike - the "real" Uncle

I'm Cool Like Mike - the "real" Uncle






Ready For Some Football!

Ready For Some Football!

Go Panthers!!!

Go Panthers!!!

Eating His Stuffed Upper GI Toy

Eating His Stuffed Upper GI Toy
This is Some Good Esophagus!

Sweet Potatoes Rule!

Sweet Potatoes Rule!

Cousin Karolina

Cousin Karolina

Friends Kate, Alex and Marta

Friends Kate, Alex and Marta

Dr. Saunders (Colin's eye doc)

Dr. Saunders (Colin's eye doc)

Dr. Melton - Mommy/Daddy Colleague

Dr. Melton - Mommy/Daddy Colleague

Colin's Audiology Appointment

Colin's Audiology Appointment




If I Tug Really Hard...

If I Tug Really Hard...

Isabella, Colin & Royaa

Isabella, Colin & Royaa

Royaa with Mom & Dad

Royaa with Mom & Dad
It tastes better on the elbow!

Isabella and the No-Look Grab :-)

Isabella and the No-Look Grab :-)

Barium Lips - Yummy!

Barium Lips - Yummy!

Nurse Chris

Nurse Chris

Dr. Rama

Dr. Rama

Dr. Greenberg

Dr. Greenberg

Tongue Sticker-Outer

Tongue Sticker-Outer

Medical Staff at Hemby

Medical Staff at Hemby

Nurse Ania - and Mommy Ania

Nurse Ania - and Mommy Ania

Nurse Deb holds the Elvis Impersonator

Nurse Deb holds the Elvis Impersonator

Colin and his Australian Wombat

Colin and his Australian Wombat
Aunt Ania's Gift to Colin

Obi Wan Colinobi

Obi Wan Colinobi

In a Milk-Stupor

In a Milk-Stupor

What do you Think of That, Colin?

What do you Think of That, Colin?

Thumbs Up, Colin?

Thumbs Up, Colin?




Heisman Trophy Pose?

Heisman Trophy Pose?

Bathtime is my Favorite!

Bathtime is my Favorite!