Thursday, March 6, 2008

One Last Item

In order for babies to "graduate" from the ICN, there are several criteria that have to be met. Over time, Colin has reached certain milestones and criteria that have lead up to his release from the hospital this coming saturday. Some criteria have to be fulfilled by the parents though too. Well, Colin has met all his criteria, and Mom and Dad have one final item to check off their list: car seat safety inspection. They save the easiest for last :-) So tonight we'll make sure to understand how to properly secure Colin's car seat to keep our little bugger as safe as possible. It seems simple, but statistics suggest that upwards of 90% of car seats are installed improperly! Amazing, but true. It seems like these manufacturers need to better explain installation instructions!
Not only does the seat need to be installed properly, but Colin has to sit in the seat, while on monitors, for 30 min - 1 hour without any episodes of bradycardia or apnea. Since babies can be improperly positioned in the seat (too low, neck not positioned properly, etc) they are at risk of choking or asphyxiation. We don't need that after getting to this point!
We received another gift of good - no great - news yesterday: Colin's retinas are fully vascularized, meaning he avoided getting ROP!!! His next eye exam is in 6 months! He couldn't avoid hernia sugery, but he did avoid eye surgery. We are so very happy about that! Such a relief. Something we've experienced a lot of in the latter half of this wild and crazy journey. Something we just didn't think was possible 4 months ago...

9 comments:

Nikola said...

This is all so exciting for you guys. I can tell it in your writing voice. I'm thrilled for you and for our whole family.

love to all of you,

Aunt Nikola and crew

Anonymous said...

We are so very happy for you guys. Colin, hurry home, we can't wait to be able to hold you and play with you. You guys have many many happy moments to look forward to with Colin at HOME!!!

with lots of love to little (not so little any more!!) bundle of joy.

Gayatri and Nirav

Anonymous said...

Goodluck with the car seat trial. Be sure to put a sticker with both of your names and contact numbers on the bottom of it. We learned that one time when we had our installation checked. That way if there is a car accident - they can easily take Colin and his car seat to a hospital and still know who he belongs to. It's a little more important that labeling your luggage, but same principal! He wants to know if his new "ride" is all pimped out!?!

Anonymous said...

What a special time for you all! Colin has come such a long way and has already accomplished amazing things. We are very excited and know that many great and bright adventures lie ahead. Hope to see you soon.

Love, Aleque and Logan

Anonymous said...

Dear Ania and Bobby,
Colin redefines the words, "You've come a long way, baby!" doesn't he? I'm Julie Swift's mom and I've followed Colin's story and read your blog since the day Julie learned of his birth. Wow! What a miracle this journey has been! Your blog has been wonderful. Thanks to your dear friend Jen who set it up for you. What an invaluable gift she gave you--and all of us. You have freely shared the facts as well as your frustrations in this 'two steps forward, one step backward' journey. Now that Colin is heading home, I'm feeling withdrawal symptoms, because I won't be able to check on his progress every morning. But, trust me, I'll be thinking of your whole family, wondering how each day and each night is going. May God continue to bless all of you.
With much love,
Ellen Horn, Wichita, Kansas

Anonymous said...

Praise Praise God! I am SO thrilled that there's no ROP!!! What a little miracle baby! As for "spoiling" Colin by picking him up too much when he cries, I think you guys are smart to listen to your instincts...after all, we are given instincts for a reason, right? I've read studies that say it is actually impossible to spoil an infant. As I'm sure you know...On the contrary, by you picking him up and caring for him every time he cries is how he learns that he is safe and loved and not alone. And, it's how he learns the first stages of trust. You have a (little) while before he learns to manipulate you! :) So soak in all you can and enjoy this time, because you can truly do what your heart leads you to do, without any of that annoying cognitive dissonance!

Five pounds!?! The little fuzzy is just like a bag of sugar...but of course MUCH sweeter!!

I'm SO thrilled for you all!!!!
Much love and prayers always, Celeste

Anonymous said...

BIG graduation day coming up Colin! We know that you have worked very hard to get to this day and we are so proud of you! Your Mommy and Daddy love you SO MUCH and they are going to love you and snuggle you and take such wonderful care of you! You are a very lucky boy!

Love,
Aunt Megan, Uncle Matt, and Brian

P.S. I bet the nurses and doctors are all going to miss you!!!!

Anonymous said...

big man colin!!

hooray hooray hooray!!!you ARE our miracle baby...all of us who have followed your journey feel like their own baby is coming home. what a blessing for you, mommy, and daddy. you keep doing what you're doing, and soon enough you and the lupes will be tearing it up together...so much fun and excitement to come!!!!

all of us will continue to keep you and your AMAZING parents in our prayers. we'll be praying that you continue to be blessed with good health, drive, determination, faith, and lots of love...from all of us.

god bless and congratualtions,
the lupes

Aldona said...

God is good my friends.

God sends you home with the greatest Easter gift of all - five pounds of pure love. Angelically silky skin will soon lie next to you - a constant reminder of heavenly intervention.

I know, I know, the trip home is going to be more stressful than joyous for reasons already known to us, but we cannot help but feel like celebrating and forgetting for a moment that there is life beyond joy and happiness. A sweet little pinch of reality now and then will not change the fact that you will be with your Miracle boy under the same roof, smelling the same aroma of freshly brewed coffee and listening to the same soothing sound of lullabies. What a beautiful prospect for next few years...

Please don’t tell me that with a child come responsibilities, such as feeding, changing diapers, staying up late, please don’t spoil the moment...

Since I know a little bit about trying to have a child, I confess that every time things get a little out of hand with my son, I kindly remind myself that I made a promise to God to be nothing but grateful once his generosity is extended to me. It helps to see the bigger picture in times when the small frustrations piling up.

God must feel pretty proud today to see you walking the path He carefully designed and ‘patted out’ just for you. May God walk you through the next 100 miles of your life journey with same unconditional consideration and care.

Love,

Aldona

Look What I'm Holding!

Look What I'm Holding!
Daddy's wedding band no longer slides up my arm. Now I can only fit 2 fingers inside!



Colin Voting

Colin Voting

"Nadar For Change" - Vote Revealed!

"Nadar For Change" - Vote Revealed!

Waiting to Vote is Fun!

Waiting to Vote is Fun!


Hanging out with Cousin

Hanging out with Cousin

Colin and Cousin Janek with family

Colin and Cousin Janek with family

Colin testing his new stroller

Colin testing his new stroller

I'm Cool Like Mike - the "real" Uncle

I'm Cool Like Mike - the "real" Uncle






Ready For Some Football!

Ready For Some Football!

Go Panthers!!!

Go Panthers!!!

Eating His Stuffed Upper GI Toy

Eating His Stuffed Upper GI Toy
This is Some Good Esophagus!

Sweet Potatoes Rule!

Sweet Potatoes Rule!

Cousin Karolina

Cousin Karolina

Friends Kate, Alex and Marta

Friends Kate, Alex and Marta

Dr. Saunders (Colin's eye doc)

Dr. Saunders (Colin's eye doc)

Dr. Melton - Mommy/Daddy Colleague

Dr. Melton - Mommy/Daddy Colleague

Colin's Audiology Appointment

Colin's Audiology Appointment




If I Tug Really Hard...

If I Tug Really Hard...

Isabella, Colin & Royaa

Isabella, Colin & Royaa

Royaa with Mom & Dad

Royaa with Mom & Dad
It tastes better on the elbow!

Isabella and the No-Look Grab :-)

Isabella and the No-Look Grab :-)

Barium Lips - Yummy!

Barium Lips - Yummy!

Nurse Chris

Nurse Chris

Dr. Rama

Dr. Rama

Dr. Greenberg

Dr. Greenberg

Tongue Sticker-Outer

Tongue Sticker-Outer

Medical Staff at Hemby

Medical Staff at Hemby

Nurse Ania - and Mommy Ania

Nurse Ania - and Mommy Ania

Nurse Deb holds the Elvis Impersonator

Nurse Deb holds the Elvis Impersonator

Colin and his Australian Wombat

Colin and his Australian Wombat
Aunt Ania's Gift to Colin

Obi Wan Colinobi

Obi Wan Colinobi

In a Milk-Stupor

In a Milk-Stupor

What do you Think of That, Colin?

What do you Think of That, Colin?

Thumbs Up, Colin?

Thumbs Up, Colin?




Heisman Trophy Pose?

Heisman Trophy Pose?

Bathtime is my Favorite!

Bathtime is my Favorite!