Colin has been averaging about 2 ounces per feeding, and I kept hearing about "just wait until he gets home, he'll really start taking off then". Well, yesterday morning, my Chunky Monkey kept wanting more from his bottle. So I gave it to him. A little over 3 ounces! But he seemed to do fine, and after all, he wanted more.
Cut to the early afternoon. Colin seemed primed for another "big" bottle. I started off with his normal amount, but he kept wanting more. So again, I gave it. Another 3 ounces. After all, he did fine with it in the morning. Wrong move. What ensued could have been put right up on the Hollywood big screen and would have drawn plenty of laughs from the audience, I'm sure. I wasn't laughing at the time, but I can now looking back on the drama that unfolded. Because of the excess milk Colin was chug-a-luggin', he couldn't hold it down. Spit up, my friends. All over. And then more spit up. Over Colin, on his clothes, on Daddy. Everywhere. Soaked. He had never had this much before. What to do? Mommy happened to not be home at the time, so it was up to Daddy to fix the problem. I undressed Colin, saw that he had a blow out to boot, quickly wiped both of us down, then took my naked, dirty, cold boy and ran him upstairs to the bathtub. Realizing I had removed his diaper with no barrier between his orifices and the carpet, I was pleading out loud for Colin not to pee or poop while en route! I got him to the bathtub, then realized, "what do I dry him off with"? So, across the hall I ran, naked boy in hand, to his nursery to grab some towels and blankets, still pleading for no pee or poop. Back to the tub we went. I turned the water on, took off my soiled shorts (his soil, not mine!) and socks, then got in the tub with him. Now this is a deep garden tub I'm talking about here. It's not like I could sit him in there with the big faucet pounding him with water! So instead, I tried to hold him with one hand and quickly lather him up with baby wash in the other! Not so easy. And Colin was not having it. He let me know it too. If he could already belt out some words, I'm sure he would have had a few choice ones for me!
I finally got him cleaned up and quickly wrapped my shivering boy in a blanket. I dried him then wrapped him in some warm blankies and took him downstairs. The outfits were upstairs. Back upstairs we go and I grab the first outfit that I can. Back downstairs. I practically choked my child trying to put this stupid outfit on. Poor guy! I quickly realized he had outgrown it! Did I ever think I'd say that? So back upstairs we went, grabbed a new, larger outfit, then back downstairs to put it on.
Needless to say, I finally managed to get Colin all cleaned, dressed, and warmed up so frost bite wouldn't set in ;-) It was an adventure to say the least. But I'm learning. Next time I'll have the big-boy bath tub (baby tub) handy and I'll slap on a clean diaper before running around with my naked child again! Not to mention, Daddy is going to put some limits on how much that boy will eat (I actually called one of the nurses at the ICN, and she instructed me to do so). We don't need another adventure like yesterday ;-) Who I am kidding. We may not NEED another adventure, but there will be more to come for sure!
Monday, March 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Look What I'm Holding!
Daddy's wedding band no longer slides up my arm. Now I can only fit 2 fingers inside!
Colin Voting
"Nadar For Change" - Vote Revealed!
Waiting to Vote is Fun!
Hanging out with Cousin
Colin and Cousin Janek with family
Colin testing his new stroller
I'm Cool Like Mike - the "real" Uncle
Ready For Some Football!
Go Panthers!!!
Eating His Stuffed Upper GI Toy
This is Some Good Esophagus!
Sweet Potatoes Rule!
Cousin Karolina
Friends Kate, Alex and Marta
Dr. Saunders (Colin's eye doc)
Dr. Melton - Mommy/Daddy Colleague
Colin's Audiology Appointment
If I Tug Really Hard...
Isabella, Colin & Royaa
Royaa with Mom & Dad
It tastes better on the elbow!
Isabella and the No-Look Grab :-)
Barium Lips - Yummy!
Nurse Chris
Dr. Rama
Dr. Greenberg
Tongue Sticker-Outer
Medical Staff at Hemby
Nurse Ania - and Mommy Ania
Nurse Deb holds the Elvis Impersonator
Colin and his Australian Wombat
Aunt Ania's Gift to Colin

11 comments:
Bobby, that's funny. And yes, the adventures will keep coming. The bigger he gets the bigger the blowouts will get. Ayana was notorious for blowouts. No matter how snug and well-fastened the diaper was, that poop managed to work its way out somehow. I'm not even going to go into the detail here, but it was EVERYWHERE. You sound like you handled it the best you knew how. Benson and I can definitely relate --- especially Bens -- he had a knack for finding the one outfit that the girls just grew out of to try to squeeze them into. We had a lot of laughs that first year. Then, it wasn't so funny. (ha ha)
love to the three of you,
Aunt Nikola
Bobby, we applaud you on overcoming this adveture with flying colors. How convenient, Ania was not home!! it is so nice to hear such crazy and funny tales after daily hospital updates. We know you have many fun moments to look forward to, Colin will make sure of it. It might have not been funny for you at the time but we sure got a great laugh from this. thank you so much for keeping us informed. can't wait to see the little one:)
Gayatri and Nirav
HILARIOUS!!!!!!!! i loved hearing the story....i can just picture daddy bobby running around with "naked boy" hoping to avoid getting sprayed. ha! thanks for sharing.
keep up the good work and GREAT attitude. you are MEANT to be a daddy....colin is one lucky guy to have such a quick thinking resourceful daddy.
we love you,
the lupes
Great story Bobby!! My question...why is it in parenthood you own all the "stuff" you need to take care of the kiddo with, but it is never in the right place at the right time and usually there are stairs involved?! Glad to hear Colin is doing a great job keeping you on your toes! Keep laughing and enjoying and sharing these great stories! And so, so glad to hear Colin has such an appetite. Obviously, he is happy to be home! With much love and prayers, Amber Scott and Ella
That's SO funny! I truly was laughing out loud as I read the entry! Little boys can definitely give you a quick spray. "Raising a little guy is no day at the beach, but you will surely get wet!!!" :)
Take care,
Love, Aleque and Logan
Yea - I got my withdrawal fix with a wonderfully "normal" story about your little miracle!
Love you guys lots -
Julie
Thanks for all the comments, guys. My folly is your humor - which is a good thing! I'm glad I can laugh at myself too, otherwise I'd be in trouble!
Bobby
Sounds like you got your Daddy pretty good, Colin! Great story!! =)
Bet you are so so happy to be home and have your Mommy and Daddy with you all day and all night!!
Have a GREAT first week home!
Love, M&M&B
Oh my gosh, that was so funny. I laughed the entire time. I can just see you running all over the house with him. I bet that was a big adventure for him too! Thanks so much for sharing your son with us. Love, Cheryl C.
Congrats to All three of you!! Now the adventure begins. We are so happy to hear about your trip home with Colin. The updates you have provided are so touching and genuine. I think we all have a similar blow-out-bath experiences that we have forgotten the details, unlike your written description which will be around for a grown up Colin to read! Keep up this journal keeping.
OHMAGOSH! That is absolutely hilarious! I can just picture it! I never would have guessed that while I was talking with Ania on the phone, that is what was going on at home!!
:) Celeste
Post a Comment