Yeah, Colin!!! We got his reticulocyte count back yesterday. It shot up significantly, meaning he is truly resolving his anemia of prematurity! It should now just be a matter of time for him to get to normal red blood cell levels. The prospect of not having to deal with any more blood transfusions is nice. Really nice.
Chunkers is still struggling with his feedings. I tried to give him a bottle last night, and he would do the same thing as before: start crying the moment that milk hit the back of his throat. It's a little disheartening, but now that the problem appears to be apparent, we just need to find the right medication for him to calm down that inflammed esophagus. Zantac doesn't appear to be the one right now. Hopefully it'll resolve soon since the last thing we want is for him to start associating pain with feeding. THAT would not be good.
Chunky Monkey gained another ounce too, up to 4 pounds, 5 ounces. We looked at his growth charts yesterday for head circumference, lenght and weight. He's still WAY behind the curve in length (16 and 1/4 inches) and weight, but he's almost low-normal on his head circumference. He's trying to catch up though. I honestly think once we get him home, his growth will really take off. I look forward to that, but for now, I'm going to enjoy my small miracle bundle. He's starting to get big enough where we cuddle faces and give him squeezes. My favorite is kissing that head. I know supposedly at this age babies don't smile to stimuli, but darned if I don't find that "sweet spot" on top of his head and give it kisses that it doesn't elicit a smile a good portion of the time! It is so, so adorable. That kid has an unbelievable, infectious smile. Watch out ladies, that's all I've got to say ;-)
Tuesday, February 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Look What I'm Holding!
Daddy's wedding band no longer slides up my arm. Now I can only fit 2 fingers inside!
Colin Voting
"Nadar For Change" - Vote Revealed!
Waiting to Vote is Fun!
Hanging out with Cousin
Colin and Cousin Janek with family
Colin testing his new stroller
I'm Cool Like Mike - the "real" Uncle
Ready For Some Football!
Go Panthers!!!
Eating His Stuffed Upper GI Toy
This is Some Good Esophagus!
Sweet Potatoes Rule!
Cousin Karolina
Friends Kate, Alex and Marta
Dr. Saunders (Colin's eye doc)
Dr. Melton - Mommy/Daddy Colleague
Colin's Audiology Appointment
If I Tug Really Hard...
Isabella, Colin & Royaa
Royaa with Mom & Dad
It tastes better on the elbow!
Isabella and the No-Look Grab :-)
Barium Lips - Yummy!
Nurse Chris
Dr. Rama
Dr. Greenberg
Tongue Sticker-Outer
Medical Staff at Hemby
Nurse Ania - and Mommy Ania
Nurse Deb holds the Elvis Impersonator
Colin and his Australian Wombat
Aunt Ania's Gift to Colin

4 comments:
I am so glad the red blood cell issue is resolving. That is fantastic. Hopefully, the acid reflux will go away too with the right medication.
Hang in there. The end is in sight.
Love,
Aunt Nikola
big daddy bobby,
you keep on kissing that little man - give him enough kisses for ALL of us lupes. and don't listen to "they" who say that babies can't smile in response to a stimulus. mr. c is surely smiling for his awesome daddy.
keep up the GREAT work.
we love you, the lupes
More good news about your anemia Colin! Yeah!! And it is so sweet to read about how much your Mommy and Daddy love you and your smiles!! =)
We're thinking of you!
M&M&B
so glad to hear about the chunkster! sorry your weekend was not what you planned, but what a great result on the reticulocytes! that's huge!! you know what i was just thinking?...i miss colin! is it wierd that i miss someone i've never met? technically, don't you have to be with them at least once before you can MISS being with them? hmm...maybe i'm just going crazy. (well ok, more crazy)
praying always with love,
celeste
Post a Comment