0.03 ounces. That's all standing between our guy and 3.5 pounds! He almost made it this weekend, but fell just short. If this were any number of daddy's high school or college classes, the teacher may be willing to round that up to the next grade level. I'm thinking that gets rounded up a grade, and Mr. Colin gets an "A" for effort. What do you think? :-)
Mondays are lab testing days to check for bilirubin and hematocrit, among other blood profiles. His bilirubin is a little higher (more jaundice), but his hematocrit is up! This likely means Colin is now producing red blood cells, hopefully avoiding any more blood transfusions secondary to anemia of prematurity. Were still waiting the results of his reticulocyte number, which will be more telling of whether or not he's truly producing red blood cells on his own.
For the first time starting yesterday, Colin has been getting fussy even in between eating. A sign that he's growing and changing, or that something is bothering him? He normally is a really sweet, calm baby. Yesterday he was up between meals, cranky, fussy and wearing himself out. He took his bottles, but just the minimum they require him to. He kept pooping out. As new parents, we're learning. Maybe this is just normal behavior for babies? I know there are days when any of us are restless, cranky and sleep-deprived. Why would babies be any different, right?
Today is a big day for us as well. Ania goes in to start the process of figuring out what went wrong during her pregnancy with Colin. They will run some labs and various tests, looking for things such as anticardiolipin and antiphospholipids which can lead to placental abnormalities and premature babies. We can only hope there is an obvious answer, one that can be solved or managed for future pregnancies. At this point, we can't stand to think about going through all of this again, and Colin needs a little sister or brother to play with :-) The next time around, we'll take a relatively uncomplicated, traditional, full-term pregnancy. Is that too much to ask for? ;-)
Monday, February 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Look What I'm Holding!
Daddy's wedding band no longer slides up my arm. Now I can only fit 2 fingers inside!
Colin Voting
"Nadar For Change" - Vote Revealed!
Waiting to Vote is Fun!
Hanging out with Cousin
Colin and Cousin Janek with family
Colin testing his new stroller
I'm Cool Like Mike - the "real" Uncle
Ready For Some Football!
Go Panthers!!!
Eating His Stuffed Upper GI Toy
This is Some Good Esophagus!
Sweet Potatoes Rule!
Cousin Karolina
Friends Kate, Alex and Marta
Dr. Saunders (Colin's eye doc)
Dr. Melton - Mommy/Daddy Colleague
Colin's Audiology Appointment
If I Tug Really Hard...
Isabella, Colin & Royaa
Royaa with Mom & Dad
It tastes better on the elbow!
Isabella and the No-Look Grab :-)
Barium Lips - Yummy!
Nurse Chris
Dr. Rama
Dr. Greenberg
Tongue Sticker-Outer
Medical Staff at Hemby
Nurse Ania - and Mommy Ania
Nurse Deb holds the Elvis Impersonator
Colin and his Australian Wombat
Aunt Ania's Gift to Colin

2 comments:
I can't wait to hear how big he is tomorrow! I hope the testing on Ania isn't too intrusive - I'm sure both of you are more drained than you realize and you both need to be strong too. As always we're thinking of you guys and look forward to seeing you soon.
Come on big guy YOU CAN DO IT!!!!Put that weight on and come on home to mommy and daddy!!!
Best of luck Ania with your testing. I hope it is simple and fixable!
Post a Comment