There are moments in life when time stands still. You either receive wonderful, beautiful news that you want to hold onto forever (marriage proposal, birth of a child), or it's news that stops you in your tracks; shocking you to your core. You stop to ask yourself if this is a dream, that this can't be happening? Ania and I experienced the latter yesterday when we received news that Jennifer Lisman Bunich - Aunt Jen to Colin - passed suddenly. Jen is survived by her amazing husband, Boris, and her beautiful 2.5 year old daughter, Claire.
It's moments like this in life that cause one to reflect, and reflect deeply. When you lose a close friend, a family member, a loved one - it hurts. When you lose someone who left this world far too early, like 36 year-old Jen, it makes me angry. Why does this happen? If you take the religious viewpoint, you say that God needed Jen more than we do here on earth. That it's His plan for Jen and that her time on earth here is complete. I want to accept that, but damnit, I just don't understand or get it. It's not fair - not to Boris, not to Claire or her family or the myriad of friends and co-workers who loved her and respected her for being such a wonderful human being. But this entry is not about religion, or my viewpoint or anything else. This is about Jen Bunich, our dear friend.
Jen was simply amazing. So beautifully artistic, her creativity and talent always left you in awe. Such a big heart, you couldn't help but love the person she was. Jen always made you feel good, always had the right thing to say, the right advice to give out. She was a "big" sister to many of us, though many of us - her friends - are all essentially the same age. A loving wife, constantly supportive of her husband and all his hard working endeavors (the man has got a work ethic like few people I know). And maybe most notable, Jen was an amazing mother to Claire. She loved Claire so much - a love that only a mother knows. But it showed so beautifully to others. They were the best of buddies. Claire Bear, as Jen would call her, is the perfect mix of daddy and mommy and is one unbelievably happy child. At 2.5 years old, it sickens me to think that her only memories of mommy may be through pictures and stories of how wonderful her mom was. Some people say they can remember things when they were that young, and I pray that Claire has those personal memories to hold on to. She deserves that much.
As many of you probably recognize already, Aunt Jen was the one who had the idea of starting Colin's Blog as I mentioned in one of the very first entries. What a gift to us - a gift that will last a lifetime! She helped us with our baby registry, what would have undoubtedly taken Ania and I hours of frustration, Jen helped us complete the task in 2 hours! She was also the first to make a sign to personalize Colin's isolette; to dress up the place a bit ;-) That sign has more meaning than ever to us now. It has been on Colin's isolette since the day she brought it to us. We got it laminated yesterday after hearing the news, and it will always hold special meaning for us.
Jen also started a blog of her own, along with her dear friend, also Jen (Jen P.) back in November. It's quite an amazing site, chalk-full of excellent information for mommies and parents in the Charlotte area from resources, tips, shopping hot spots, stories, etc. She even did a story about Colin (an interview format with Ania) and posted it on her site. I encourage all of you who are kind enough to read Colin's blog to check out Jen's blog as well: http://www.charlottesmartypants.com/. It's a tiny window into the beautiful, creative person that was Jen Bunich.
Unfortunate doesn't begin to describe any child losing a parent at such a young age, but what a wonderful foundation of love, support, nurturing and caring that Jen provided her little girl in the short time she was with her. And what a lucky girl to have such a wonderful father. Talk about doting on her! What a team they make and will make into the future. Boris and Claire are loved by so many, they'll have an entire village to raise that child and support Boris in his times of need.
To Jen: I know you're in a better place now. I know you're watching down on all of us. We love you and we miss you terribly. Thank you for all you've ever done for us. You were truly one-of-a-kind, Jen Bunich.
Love, Ania, Bobby and Colin Hamp
Tuesday, February 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Look What I'm Holding!
Daddy's wedding band no longer slides up my arm. Now I can only fit 2 fingers inside!
Colin Voting
"Nadar For Change" - Vote Revealed!
Waiting to Vote is Fun!
Hanging out with Cousin
Colin and Cousin Janek with family
Colin testing his new stroller
I'm Cool Like Mike - the "real" Uncle
Ready For Some Football!
Go Panthers!!!
Eating His Stuffed Upper GI Toy
This is Some Good Esophagus!
Sweet Potatoes Rule!
Cousin Karolina
Friends Kate, Alex and Marta
Dr. Saunders (Colin's eye doc)
Dr. Melton - Mommy/Daddy Colleague
Colin's Audiology Appointment
If I Tug Really Hard...
Isabella, Colin & Royaa
Royaa with Mom & Dad
It tastes better on the elbow!
Isabella and the No-Look Grab :-)
Barium Lips - Yummy!
Nurse Chris
Dr. Rama
Dr. Greenberg
Tongue Sticker-Outer
Medical Staff at Hemby
Nurse Ania - and Mommy Ania
Nurse Deb holds the Elvis Impersonator
Colin and his Australian Wombat
Aunt Ania's Gift to Colin

5 comments:
I tried Jen's site, but it wouldn't work - maybe it's just down temporarily. I'm sorry to hear of the loss of an obviously great friend. We'll certainly add Claire and Boris to our list of folks "we love".
My heartfelt sympathy goes out to you and Jen's family. Losing a dear friend or family member is so hard. May God be with you in this time of mourning and bring you peace. What a shame that Colin will only know his Aunt Jen through words and photos. Bless you all.
Cousin Linda
Your latest posting Bobby indeed left me silent and tearful... What is it about life that gives us a will to live after we're faced with the abrupt departure of our close one? A million dollar question?
Does it mean that there is no answer to it? or...maybe the answer is there, it can be searched through and it can be found... LIfe works in mysterious ways... Our Creator, the Giver of life works mysterious ways...
A friend of mine who lost her husband not long ago once 'confessed' that she wakes up in the morning no longer knowing who she is and no longer knowing her place in the world, not to mention a reason to live. Her words definitely got my attention.
We search half of our lives (for some less, for some more) to find the right mate with whom we hardly seperate people, with whom we become ‘one’ - the ultimate desire and hope of all us humans - and then...we loose that 'half' of ourself and we are asked 'to be' again with half of us missing.
How do we reconcile that? Maybe there is no place for reconciliation at all... Maybe we go through this painful, often unbearable journey and we arrive at the place that we finallly dare to call a 'rebirth', a place of a new voice, a new spiritual identity, a new life, if you will.
I don't know... I wish I had the answer to this question, but I guess I have to find it out myself as I walk THE JOURNEY myself one day.
Let's keep the memories of our Jen alive and let's not forget the people who are left behind - her family. They might need us more than ever, closer than ever and longer than ever before.
Dear God please keep Boris and Claire safe and together as they go throug this dark time.
In Jesus name, Amen
Beautiful words Bobby... Jen was such an amazing person and she will be missed by so many.
Post a Comment