Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Turning It Around?

Last night, as we were trying to feed Colin, those little lips were denying access to the bottle. He would just not open that little mouth to eat. Out like a light. We're not used to seeing that, and it broke our hearts because we know he's tired due to his anemia. In fact that day he kept taking less and less with each subsequent feeding, as his energy was just sapped.
Not only was he low on energy from the anemia, but his transition to a crib was also wearing on him. He lost almost a full ounce of weight because of it. Now that there's a greater demand on him to maintain his body temp, he burns more calories to do so. As a result, the weight comes off. It's just one of those transition phases that he has to figure out. You know, one step back, three steps forward type-of-thing.
Well, maybe our little boy has turned the corner over night? First, he has not failed the "crib test" as he has been maintaining his body temp. No more isolette for our guy! Second, he's back to eating full value meals ;-) He went on a bottle rampage and took bottles of 35, 40 and 50 ounces overnight! Someone is getting a second wind. I wouldn't expect anything less from our little fighter :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bobby-

I've been reading your blog regularly. You and Ania (and Colin) are an inspiration, and I want you to know that in addition to prayers, I'm on the sidelines with the hordes of fans cheering you 3 on. Lotsa hugs ...

Nikola said...

Wow. That is really terrific news. I think it took that low to get him over the hump and into this stage of life. I am so proud of you for hanging in there all of these months and enduring this hard experience. I hope this is the final stretch.

Love you,

Aunt Nikola

Anonymous said...

Hey Colin! That's great that you are in a crib now, controlling your temperature, and eating more and more!! Wonderful news! =)
Love, Aunt Megan

Anonymous said...

WOW - what great news! I love the photo of Ania over Colin's "love shack". Hope the steps forward continue to out weigh (no pun intended) the steps back. You guys are all doing so fantastic - keep it up and we'll see you soon -
Love,
Julie

Look What I'm Holding!

Look What I'm Holding!
Daddy's wedding band no longer slides up my arm. Now I can only fit 2 fingers inside!



Colin Voting

Colin Voting

"Nadar For Change" - Vote Revealed!

"Nadar For Change" - Vote Revealed!

Waiting to Vote is Fun!

Waiting to Vote is Fun!


Hanging out with Cousin

Hanging out with Cousin

Colin and Cousin Janek with family

Colin and Cousin Janek with family

Colin testing his new stroller

Colin testing his new stroller

I'm Cool Like Mike - the "real" Uncle

I'm Cool Like Mike - the "real" Uncle






Ready For Some Football!

Ready For Some Football!

Go Panthers!!!

Go Panthers!!!

Eating His Stuffed Upper GI Toy

Eating His Stuffed Upper GI Toy
This is Some Good Esophagus!

Sweet Potatoes Rule!

Sweet Potatoes Rule!

Cousin Karolina

Cousin Karolina

Friends Kate, Alex and Marta

Friends Kate, Alex and Marta

Dr. Saunders (Colin's eye doc)

Dr. Saunders (Colin's eye doc)

Dr. Melton - Mommy/Daddy Colleague

Dr. Melton - Mommy/Daddy Colleague

Colin's Audiology Appointment

Colin's Audiology Appointment




If I Tug Really Hard...

If I Tug Really Hard...

Isabella, Colin & Royaa

Isabella, Colin & Royaa

Royaa with Mom & Dad

Royaa with Mom & Dad
It tastes better on the elbow!

Isabella and the No-Look Grab :-)

Isabella and the No-Look Grab :-)

Barium Lips - Yummy!

Barium Lips - Yummy!

Nurse Chris

Nurse Chris

Dr. Rama

Dr. Rama

Dr. Greenberg

Dr. Greenberg

Tongue Sticker-Outer

Tongue Sticker-Outer

Medical Staff at Hemby

Medical Staff at Hemby

Nurse Ania - and Mommy Ania

Nurse Ania - and Mommy Ania

Nurse Deb holds the Elvis Impersonator

Nurse Deb holds the Elvis Impersonator

Colin and his Australian Wombat

Colin and his Australian Wombat
Aunt Ania's Gift to Colin

Obi Wan Colinobi

Obi Wan Colinobi

In a Milk-Stupor

In a Milk-Stupor

What do you Think of That, Colin?

What do you Think of That, Colin?

Thumbs Up, Colin?

Thumbs Up, Colin?




Heisman Trophy Pose?

Heisman Trophy Pose?

Bathtime is my Favorite!

Bathtime is my Favorite!