Last night was the visitation for Jen. It was beautiful. There were so many people there to pay their respects. We waited in the reception line for 1.5 hours before being able to talk to Boris and the rest of their family. By the time we had gone through, the line hadn't shortened one bit! What an amazing stamp of Jen's affect on those around her. She was loved by many, and she would have been overwhelmed with the love and support surrounding her family last night. Services are today.
Life forces us to go on, and on we will. As will Boris and his family. As for ours, and our little Angel named Colin, he's doing well. Not that we haven't had some little twists since my last blog entry. First, we thought it was cute that Colin was so ravenous when it came time to eat. Our naive observation was that he was a hungry man. Well, he was, but that's not the whole story. One of his astute nurses wondered about whether Colin was becoming hypoglycemic (low blood sugar). Sure enough. In the previous few days, Colin's blood sugar was actually a little high. That was one of the reasons the doctors decided to take him off the more rich hind milk he was on. Back on regular milk, his sugar dropped. Too much. I was thinking, "uh-oh, what now"? Turns out this may not be such a bad thing. Colin is using up his sugar supply because he's entering a growth period and the little man is needing all those extra resources to get bigger. As a result, they've increased his fortifier to 27 calories (from 24). This has seemed to work well as his sugar has stabilized over the last 24 hours. Great catch by the nurse!
Chunkies is also up to 3 pounds, 9.4 ounces. With the increase in calories, and the fact that he's really doing well on his bottle feedings, he'll be knocking down 4 pounds in no time. And with this weight, he's also maintaining his own body temp better. He's just about reached room temp in his isolette - probably another couple of days or so - and then he'll graduate into a crib!
One thing that is for certain, determined just in the last couple days, is that Colin will require hernia surgery before he comes home from the hospital. Right now, he's too small for surgery and so the doctors want to wait until he reaches the 1800-2000 gram mark before cutting on the Crown Jewel-area to fix the hernia. Ouch. Son, all I have to tell you is you won't remember any of this when you get older. Better to have the Jeweler do his work now than when you're an adult. It's painful stuff - or so I've been told. When that day comes (in 2-3 weeks), we'll have the paci in hand ready to comfort you. Be strong, Little Buddy. May the force be with you and your little boys ;-)
Thursday, February 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Look What I'm Holding!
Daddy's wedding band no longer slides up my arm. Now I can only fit 2 fingers inside!
Colin Voting
"Nadar For Change" - Vote Revealed!
Waiting to Vote is Fun!
Hanging out with Cousin
Colin and Cousin Janek with family
Colin testing his new stroller
I'm Cool Like Mike - the "real" Uncle
Ready For Some Football!
Go Panthers!!!
Eating His Stuffed Upper GI Toy
This is Some Good Esophagus!
Sweet Potatoes Rule!
Cousin Karolina
Friends Kate, Alex and Marta
Dr. Saunders (Colin's eye doc)
Dr. Melton - Mommy/Daddy Colleague
Colin's Audiology Appointment
If I Tug Really Hard...
Isabella, Colin & Royaa
Royaa with Mom & Dad
It tastes better on the elbow!
Isabella and the No-Look Grab :-)
Barium Lips - Yummy!
Nurse Chris
Dr. Rama
Dr. Greenberg
Tongue Sticker-Outer
Medical Staff at Hemby
Nurse Ania - and Mommy Ania
Nurse Deb holds the Elvis Impersonator
Colin and his Australian Wombat
Aunt Ania's Gift to Colin

3 comments:
I'm telling you - you should be writing for TV shows. So glad to hear the mostly upbeat news about Colin!
Your last entry really touched my heart, brought tears to my eyes, and made me think. I visited Jen’s website, and as I read, I felt almost like I knew her…I could almost feel her loved ones’ pain, and it again brought tears to my eyes. This truly is, such a tragedy. I wondered, “When is death fair?”. It never seems to be, regardless of age or circumstance. There’s almost always someone left to grieve…is it fair to that person? Why do people have to die to begin with? Why can’t we live forever? Who decides the “right” time to die? Are we all suppose to live the same amount of time? Are some deaths more of a tragedy than others? What makes one more unfair than another…whether or not that “type” is common or frequent? As I contemplate the reality of death, it really amazes me that any of us live at all. Every single breath is an unbelievable gift.
An elderly woman once told me that she wasn’t “ready” to die…she didn’t “feel” old…she still thinks and feels the same as she did when she was younger. At the time, this really shocked me. And thus, her words have always stayed with me…probably because when I was younger, I always thought that when I was “old” I would think differently…that who I was would somehow magically change, and a different “Celeste” would emerge…one that was OK with aches and pains, loss of mobility, failing memory, and losing friends my own age. It seemed strange to me that at 80 years old, I would still think it was unfair to have my spouse or friend die. I mean after all, didn’t “old” people just expect and accept that? I’ll never forget another time in my early 20's…the tears in my Grandmother’s eyes when she recalled the death of her husband and so many of her friends…why did I think she was immune to this pain? I remember thinking “Wow, she is just as sad about losing her friends as I would be if I lost mine. Her (current) friends are just as much "alive", with the same will-to-live as mine.”
And I wonder why some people live and some don’t. Looking at the 11 month old little boy from the tornado in Tennessee. Death was all around him. And yet, at the perfect time, just as rescuers were walking by, he moved and they saw him, and he was saved. But others weren’t. As much as I try to understand, my tiny mortal mind just can’t wrap itself around this concept.
I know that not everyone who believes in God holds the same belief on this subject. I have heard the “God needed her in Heaven” theory, but I don’t know how that makes sense Biblically. When we need to understand who God is, we are to look at Jesus…because He is God in a form which we CAN concept. One of my motivations for understanding the Bible is so that I can understand who God is…who He truly is…what His character is. Jesus showed love and compassion for people.
One of my favorite explanations is from a book/movie: A father is talking, and says “My little girl could fall down and hurt herself, even if I’m walking right there beside her. That doesn’t mean that I allowed it to happen. But SHE knows, with a father’s unconditional love I’ll pick her up and I’ll carry her. I’ll try to heal her. I’ll cry when she cries. And I’ll rejoice when she is well. In all the moments of my life, God has been right there beside me. The truth of God’s love is not that He allows bad things to happen…it’s His promise that He’ll be there with us when they do.”
Praying for understanding for us all,
Much love, Celeste
I couldn't agree with you more Celeste. I love the analogy you quoted about the father walking with his daughter. I couldn't have put it better myself, and i have always felt the truth of this type of thinking about God.
Nikola
Post a Comment