Mr. Colin's blood transfusion yesterday went well. With his hematocrit stabilizing, he did not need a second transfusion. He finished his antibiotics yesterday as well, which means likely sometime today or tomorrow Colin will be needle-free for the first time in his 6 weeks of life! Hard to believe he's 6 weeks old today.
Yesterday, mom got to Kangaroo in combination with a room air trial. It was pretty amazing for a couple reasons: 1. Colin was "desating" prior to the trial, and I was thinking this may not be such a good idea seeing as how he wasn't really stable and I thought he may be fatigued from the transfusion and his assessment just prior to Kangarooing. But the moment the bubble CPAP was removed and Colin was placed on mommy's chest, his oxygen saturation levels popped right up! He was breathing without assistance for a full hour and did extremely well. 2. Colin was extrememly active while on his mommy. Because he was NPO (no feedings) due to the transfusion, he was probaby hungry even though they were giving him IV fluids. Anyway, he was actively searching for a booby to suckle! He kept grunting and moving around, his mouth and eyes wide open. We placed a paci in his mouth and our little man went to town! It was so, so adorable. I took some pictures because it was the most active we've seen him to date. I'll post one or two of those in the next day or so, so be on the lookout. I'll warn you though: he is incredibly cute! :-)
When we checked on him early this morning, he was successfully doing another room-air trial. They'll be more aggressive with this now that he's off antibiotics and on max feedings, which have started again. The more he tolerates being off the CPAP, the quicker he'll be off that thing for good. That'll be a special, special day for all of us. We're looking forward to what we hope January will bring us: no CPAP, breast and bottle feeding, continued good results on his eye exams, no infections or transfusions, and 4 pounds - hey, a dad can dream, can't he?
Friday, December 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Look What I'm Holding!
Daddy's wedding band no longer slides up my arm. Now I can only fit 2 fingers inside!
Colin Voting
"Nadar For Change" - Vote Revealed!
Waiting to Vote is Fun!
Hanging out with Cousin
Colin and Cousin Janek with family
Colin testing his new stroller
I'm Cool Like Mike - the "real" Uncle
Ready For Some Football!
Go Panthers!!!
Eating His Stuffed Upper GI Toy
This is Some Good Esophagus!
Sweet Potatoes Rule!
Cousin Karolina
Friends Kate, Alex and Marta
Dr. Saunders (Colin's eye doc)
Dr. Melton - Mommy/Daddy Colleague
Colin's Audiology Appointment
If I Tug Really Hard...
Isabella, Colin & Royaa
Royaa with Mom & Dad
It tastes better on the elbow!
Isabella and the No-Look Grab :-)
Barium Lips - Yummy!
Nurse Chris
Dr. Rama
Dr. Greenberg
Tongue Sticker-Outer
Medical Staff at Hemby
Nurse Ania - and Mommy Ania
Nurse Deb holds the Elvis Impersonator
Colin and his Australian Wombat
Aunt Ania's Gift to Colin

5 comments:
Wow. Great news. I'm so glad things have turned around. Our thoughts are with the three of you.
Love, Aunt Nikola
Loving the updates and thinking of you!
-Jen Bunich
I missed knowing what's new with you guys when
I was away for a few days. I am so happy to know
that Colinek is having a better day today. Thank you guys for your devotion to these daily writings
and absolute honesty in describing the different shades of worry, anxiety, fear, wonder, joy, happiness and the longing for only sunny days. This is so human and so parent like.
This is what makes you most wonderful caretakers, and beautiful people to know. Hang in there as good angels are watching after you and help you in the every day struggle to stay above the waters.
My thoughts are with you always,
Aldona
I can't wait to see the new pics! I knew Colin would fight through the last few days. Keep the faith and thanks for all the updates!
We love him!
Aleque and Logan
love the new pics! soooo cute. very happy to hear he's doing well. LOVE the smile in the "red" picture. he looks like one content little boy!
you are always in my prayers, celeste
Post a Comment