What an amazing little guy our Colin is! He just continues to exceed expectations. But yesterday's first may top them all, at least in the category of "special firsts". One of Colin's neonatologists had stopped by to talk to us to provide an update and just to see how we were holding up. His timing was perfect as Colin's nurse was just about to start his feeding. The doctor thought we should try to introduce the breast to Colin, just to start getting him used to the idea! He was also ready to start another room-air trial, so Ania got to hold him without the CPAP. Even though he still had his OG tube in his mouth, the doctor still thought it would be okay to try. So, with Ania in position, the nurse handed Colin over to her and as if right on cue, Colin opened up wide and he was placed onto mommy. Immediately he started to suckle! No practice needed for our man, he picked it up right away! There was a little learning curve, in that he was sucking so well he forgot he also needed to breathe and within 15 seconds or so he had a brady and desat. So, he was pulled off of mommy just temporarily. He stabilized, then went back for more. This time, after several seconds, he started taking "big gulps" which also caused him to brady. Another mini-break settled him down, then it was success thereafter. He only breast fed for several minutes, but was it something special to see. A very sweet moment that will forever be ingrained in our minds.
Colin has also been over-achieving on his room-air trials. Someone is motivated to get that CPAP off for good! Since my last blog entry, Colin has gone 6 and 7 hours, respectively, during two trial runs of breathing on his own! How soon he accomplishes being completely off CPAP we're not being told yet, but the transition has clearly begun and it seems logical (to us) that maybe he'll be off in a matter of days, maybe a week or two at most?
The only less-than-stellar bit of news to report is that Colin is stubbornly not putting on any more weight. He appears to have plateaued for now, which we're being told is not uncommon during periods of transition: getting off CPAP, moving to an open crib (from an isolette), and others. Hopefully the weight gain will commence soon, after which it won't be long for some serious cuddling with our chub-filled beautiful boy!
Sunday, December 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Look What I'm Holding!
Daddy's wedding band no longer slides up my arm. Now I can only fit 2 fingers inside!
Colin Voting
"Nadar For Change" - Vote Revealed!
Waiting to Vote is Fun!
Hanging out with Cousin
Colin and Cousin Janek with family
Colin testing his new stroller
I'm Cool Like Mike - the "real" Uncle
Ready For Some Football!
Go Panthers!!!
Eating His Stuffed Upper GI Toy
This is Some Good Esophagus!
Sweet Potatoes Rule!
Cousin Karolina
Friends Kate, Alex and Marta
Dr. Saunders (Colin's eye doc)
Dr. Melton - Mommy/Daddy Colleague
Colin's Audiology Appointment
If I Tug Really Hard...
Isabella, Colin & Royaa
Royaa with Mom & Dad
It tastes better on the elbow!
Isabella and the No-Look Grab :-)
Barium Lips - Yummy!
Nurse Chris
Dr. Rama
Dr. Greenberg
Tongue Sticker-Outer
Medical Staff at Hemby
Nurse Ania - and Mommy Ania
Nurse Deb holds the Elvis Impersonator
Colin and his Australian Wombat
Aunt Ania's Gift to Colin

4 comments:
Ania, I'm so glad you got a chance to nurse Colin if only for a short while. His ability and interest in suckling is a really great sign that he'll transition to nursing very naturally once he's completely ready. I can imagine that it was a special moment for all of you guys because i remember it as being a wonderful moment for me and Benson and of course the girls as well.
I love you guys and am so happy for these wonderful moments you are experiencing.
Aunt Nikola
Amazing! Yay!
I am so impressed with Colin as far as his 'suckling'
abilities are concern, because Filipek, for example, was not good in doing that at all --it does not always come natural to every child.
I share your happiness and joy in experiencing
those 'special first'.
We continue to be proud of Colin's progress
and we thank God for it.
Aldona
I am so, so very happy for all of you. I am overwhelmed at his courage and yours as well. This occasion was so sweet I had to cry a few happy tears. I'm sure you did too. I will continue to pray for you all.
Love, Cheryl
Post a Comment