Well, Colin's good run was expected to hit another bump in the road. Things were just going too well for a now 31 weeker that was IUGR (Intrauterine Growth Restricted). Colin's hematocrit dropped to 24 - very low - and so he'll get another blood transfusion today. Even though the doctors and nurses warned us early on that this type of thing is to be expected, it's still not easy to hear that your preemie child needs one. Ania and I have never had to have a transfusion, and quite frankly, it sucks knowing that Colin has to go through it. Seems unfair. Taking the approach that the glass is half-full, the good news is that the donor blood is from the same donor as before, so as to minimize the risk of infection and contracted disease. He responded well to the last transfusion, so we're hopeful that he'll stabilize after this one too.
Last night Colin gave us yet another special moment. He had his 3rd straight day of room air trial, but this time we didn't Kangaroo. Instead, we left him in the isolette and just watched him and talked to him for a good while. He was wide awake, seemingly trying to process what we were saying. He was looking right at us too, as our faces on the other side of the isolette were a mere foot from him. We were probably big fuzzy masses since his eyes are not yet fully developed, but it was sweet none-the-less. Because preemies have poor eye muscle control, he would, on occasion, converge (cross) his eyes, and sometimes even go esotropic (only 1 eye would turn in). But for the most part, he exhibited good eye muscle balance and coordination which is great.
During the room air trial, Daddy wanted to see if Colin would hold his finger, so I went to place my index finger in his palm, and Colin immediately gripped it. So we just held hands for about 15 minutes while the 3 of us talked (okay, Colin just listened)! Every time I'd either lightly move my finger or would start to pull away, his grip would tighten. It was so cute! You could even see his little fingers turn white from the pressure he was exerting. Finally, I told Colin that he should hold mommy's hand too. I know he didn't understand what I was saying, but he actually didn't grip when I pulled away. Mommy then put her finger in there and back came the grip! Maybe it was instincts, or he was just getting tired for a moment and let go? Or maybe because he was gripping so tightly that it was Colin's way of saying, "I'm not feeling good" since his blood counts were off? Hard to say, but it was amazing to see, whether by chance or not.
Wednesday, December 12, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Look What I'm Holding!
Daddy's wedding band no longer slides up my arm. Now I can only fit 2 fingers inside!
Colin Voting
"Nadar For Change" - Vote Revealed!
Waiting to Vote is Fun!
Hanging out with Cousin
Colin and Cousin Janek with family
Colin testing his new stroller
I'm Cool Like Mike - the "real" Uncle
Ready For Some Football!
Go Panthers!!!
Eating His Stuffed Upper GI Toy
This is Some Good Esophagus!
Sweet Potatoes Rule!
Cousin Karolina
Friends Kate, Alex and Marta
Dr. Saunders (Colin's eye doc)
Dr. Melton - Mommy/Daddy Colleague
Colin's Audiology Appointment
If I Tug Really Hard...
Isabella, Colin & Royaa
Royaa with Mom & Dad
It tastes better on the elbow!
Isabella and the No-Look Grab :-)
Barium Lips - Yummy!
Nurse Chris
Dr. Rama
Dr. Greenberg
Tongue Sticker-Outer
Medical Staff at Hemby
Nurse Ania - and Mommy Ania
Nurse Deb holds the Elvis Impersonator
Colin and his Australian Wombat
Aunt Ania's Gift to Colin

4 comments:
I can just picture you guys huddling around your little man, talking to him, him holding your hand -- that's a sweet, sweet picture. I love you guys. Hang in there through this transfusion. And you too Colin! Stay strong!
Aunt Nikola
Just found out about everything - I am keeping your new little one in my prayers! The blog is such a great way to keep everyone up to date! Hang in there and I sure hope Colin has a wonderful 1st Christmas!
no worries about the transfusion...he'll be fine! that's awesome he got the same donor blood!
personally, i think he understood you when you told him mommy wanted to hold his hand! your other explanations don't sound plausible to aunt celeste! :) we definitely don't know when that "understanding" ability develops, but i've read things that say babies definitely respond to parent's voices and music in utero! so, whether he understood or not, he definitely loved hearing your voices!
hmm...another explanation: maybe your finger was getting sweaty, and colin was like, "dude, dry off already! give me a dry hand to hold!...that blur (with my mommy's voice) standing beside you looks like she's clean!"
yeah, i think i hit the nail on the head..that's definitely it!
MUCH love and prayers, celeste :)
Hey guys -
The midwest is pretty much blanketed in ice, so we left work early yesterday. I was feeling helpless about the three of you and another family we know with a sick child...so I headed off to donate blood yesterday. I knew it wouldn't directly help any of you, but I knew it might help someone else! Glad someone else did that for little Colin. Glad you're getting to spend these precious moments together.
Love, Julie
Post a Comment