Saturday, December 8, 2007
You're Such a Baby!
Sure, Colin will cry if the nurses deep suction his nose or mess with his bubble CPAP - just about any of us would. It's a little hard to watch because you know he's uncomfortable when they do it, yet you understand it needs to be done for his benefit which makes it more tolerable. But last night was the first night that we actually witnessed our son acting like a baby! At first, we were a little nervous as to why he was all of a sudden restless and crying. I tried positive pressure (pressing down on his head and legs - a technique that reminds him of momma's womb), but that didn't work. He had just had his diaper changed. That wasn't it. He just had a feeding, so check that off the list. What could it be? Well, the nurse had repositioned Colin so he was laying on his right side - just about the time he started fussing. Anyway, his rant went on for a good 20 minutes or so: elevated heart rate, elevated respiration, and using up a lot of oxygen because of it. Needless to say, mom and dad were a little concerned. While the nurse was away, I tried to reposition him slightly, and put him on his back. This tempered his apparent anxiety for a few seconds. He thought about it, and decided, "No, I don't like this either". So, he started back up again. Finally, the nurse decided she was going to put him on his stomach (yes, parents out there: you don't put a newborn baby on their stomach to sleep, but with premies in an incubator and in a controlled environment, it is advised and helps them with their peristalsis, or bowel movements). So, the nurse gently picked him up and placed him belly down. His little booty was slightly in the air as his knees were somewhat tucked in, arms bent to the side (picture a frog). Within seconds, Colin said, "Finally, you knuckleheads. Now I'm comfortable." And off to sleep he went! What a baby! ;-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Look What I'm Holding!
Daddy's wedding band no longer slides up my arm. Now I can only fit 2 fingers inside!
Colin Voting
"Nadar For Change" - Vote Revealed!
Waiting to Vote is Fun!
Hanging out with Cousin
Colin and Cousin Janek with family
Colin testing his new stroller
I'm Cool Like Mike - the "real" Uncle
Ready For Some Football!
Go Panthers!!!
Eating His Stuffed Upper GI Toy
This is Some Good Esophagus!
Sweet Potatoes Rule!
Cousin Karolina
Friends Kate, Alex and Marta
Dr. Saunders (Colin's eye doc)
Dr. Melton - Mommy/Daddy Colleague
Colin's Audiology Appointment
If I Tug Really Hard...
Isabella, Colin & Royaa
Royaa with Mom & Dad
It tastes better on the elbow!
Isabella and the No-Look Grab :-)
Barium Lips - Yummy!
Nurse Chris
Dr. Rama
Dr. Greenberg
Tongue Sticker-Outer
Medical Staff at Hemby
Nurse Ania - and Mommy Ania
Nurse Deb holds the Elvis Impersonator
Colin and his Australian Wombat
Aunt Ania's Gift to Colin

2 comments:
Hello Ania & Bobby: Just a quick hello to tell you I am thinking about you and reading Colin's stories every day. Hugs!
He's already a lot like his cousins. They preferred sleeping on their belly from day one. Glad to hear he settled down to a comfy rest. Love you guys.
Auntie Nikola
Post a Comment