Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Breaking the News to Colin...

Gheez! I thought I'd get a little sadness (a cry or two) when I told Colin that daddy had to go back to work this week. I told him this Sunday night, and his response to my announcement was a big yawn! What? As if he was saying, "Whatever". Oh, I see. Trying to play Mr. Cool with me. Tough on the outside, but really super-sad on the inside knowing that daddy would only get nights and weekends to hang out with him. Well, he stayed strong and shed no tears. Apparently he already thinks that real men don't cry? Well, daddy doesn't buy into that, so I cried for him - I just didn't tell him. Shhh:-)
Cut to tonight, it was mommy's turn to tell Colin that, she too, was going back to work starting tomorrow. She explained to him that she was going to do this so she could maximize her time off with him when he finally gets to come home. This, for sure, would elicit some reaction. We braced ourselves, expecting the worst. A big breakdown with full-fledged welling of the eyes, tears streaming down the face and some kicking and screaming in protest was imminent. Right? Wrong. What did we get? Another yawn - no - several yawns! And a lot of lounging and stretching! After all we've done for this little man! As he's lying on his back, he's got both arms stretched above his head, and both legs spread and stretched out. Wow, tough life getting everyone to wait on you hand and foot! Our man was relaxing and brushing off the fact that he'd be all alone with the nurses and doctors with no mommy or daddy around during the weekdays. But again, we think it's just a tough exterior on him. He probably waited until we rounded the corner as we were leaving to let out the big wail brewing inside of him. Mr. Cool, remember? ;-)
Apparently putting on some OZ's (street lingo for ounces) gets you confident and comfortable, hence our son's Mr. Cool attitude. He continues to gain weight, and last night Colin was 770 grams. They continue to increase his feedings as he's tolerating them well and they've started to decrease his hyperal IV (neonatal nutrition). Eventually, the feedings will be increased to the point that his IV nurtition will no longer be necessary and he'll get his percutaneous line removed from his arm! We can't wait to get him off IV.
So for now, we're in a feed and grow mode, which is nice. The next big test for Colin will be in a couple weeks or so when his eye doctor comes to check for Retinopathy of Prematurity (ROP). Colin decided to have someone other than mom or dad do this exam on him. Whatever. He's already taking us for granted. They start early, you know. Boy, Ania and I are in for it with this one ;-)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be thinking of you guys as you start the balance of "work" and "home" - wish you didn't have to start it this early. The good news is you will have lots of folks thinking and praying for him plus all those great people watching him at the hospital. We love you guys -
Julie

Unknown said...

That is the best news I have heard today! I am so glad to hear you are doing so great Colin. I enjoy reading about you so much and to come in today and hear that you are doing so good just makes my day.You are such a charmer. Lots of love and prayers to you and your parents

Nikola said...

Dear little Colin,

I have watched with amazement as you entered into this world with so much going against you, yet fighting from the get go. It's amazing to see this miracle with my own eyes. I feel so lucky to be a part of your life from the very beginning.

At night, especially, i think of you laying in your little incubator and all your little systems working hard and growing. I hope you are resting comfortably and gaining strength with every feeding and every day. I already love you and i can't wait to hold your little body in my arms. Whoa, what an experience that will be.

Mostly i can't wait to see the look on your cousins' faces when they see you for the first time. Today Ayana and Karolina were chatting at dinner, and your name came up as usual. Karolina said something about where's baby Colin. Ayana explained that you were still in the hospital. Then, she added, "Colin is a beautiful baby." Karolina confirmed: "pretty baby."

It's so cool to hear your name brought up in everyday conversations, as if you have always been with us --- it's so life-affirming and hopeful that you will really be with us soon.

We love you,

Aunt Nikola and the family

Nikola said...

Dear little Colin,

I have watched with amazement as you entered into this world with so much going against you, yet fighting from the get go. It's amazing to see this miracle with my own eyes. I feel so lucky to be a part of your life from the very beginning.

At night, especially, i think of you laying in your little incubator and all your little systems working hard and growing. I hope you are resting comfortably and gaining strength with every feeding and every day. I already love you and i can't wait to hold your little body in my arms. Whoa, what an experience that will be.

Mostly i can't wait to see the look on your cousins' faces when they see you for the first time. Today Ayana and Karolina were chatting at dinner, and your name came up as usual. Karolina said something about where's baby Colin. Ayana explained that you were still in the hospital. Then, she added, "Colin is a beautiful baby." Karolina confirmed: "pretty baby."

It's so cool to hear your name brought up in everyday conversations, as if you have always been with us --- it's so life-affirming and hopeful that you will really be with us soon.

We love you,

Aunt Nikola and the family

Anonymous said...

Hey Mr. Cool, That was nice of you not to break down in front of your Mom and Dad when you heard the back to work news. So, how's it going hanging with all of those nurses and doctors? I bet they are treating you like a king!! Please tell your Mommy and Daddy that we are thinking of you all, and hope they are doing okay too. Keep packing on that weight!! Love, Megan

Look What I'm Holding!

Look What I'm Holding!
Daddy's wedding band no longer slides up my arm. Now I can only fit 2 fingers inside!



Colin Voting

Colin Voting

"Nadar For Change" - Vote Revealed!

"Nadar For Change" - Vote Revealed!

Waiting to Vote is Fun!

Waiting to Vote is Fun!


Hanging out with Cousin

Hanging out with Cousin

Colin and Cousin Janek with family

Colin and Cousin Janek with family

Colin testing his new stroller

Colin testing his new stroller

I'm Cool Like Mike - the "real" Uncle

I'm Cool Like Mike - the "real" Uncle






Ready For Some Football!

Ready For Some Football!

Go Panthers!!!

Go Panthers!!!

Eating His Stuffed Upper GI Toy

Eating His Stuffed Upper GI Toy
This is Some Good Esophagus!

Sweet Potatoes Rule!

Sweet Potatoes Rule!

Cousin Karolina

Cousin Karolina

Friends Kate, Alex and Marta

Friends Kate, Alex and Marta

Dr. Saunders (Colin's eye doc)

Dr. Saunders (Colin's eye doc)

Dr. Melton - Mommy/Daddy Colleague

Dr. Melton - Mommy/Daddy Colleague

Colin's Audiology Appointment

Colin's Audiology Appointment




If I Tug Really Hard...

If I Tug Really Hard...

Isabella, Colin & Royaa

Isabella, Colin & Royaa

Royaa with Mom & Dad

Royaa with Mom & Dad
It tastes better on the elbow!

Isabella and the No-Look Grab :-)

Isabella and the No-Look Grab :-)

Barium Lips - Yummy!

Barium Lips - Yummy!

Nurse Chris

Nurse Chris

Dr. Rama

Dr. Rama

Dr. Greenberg

Dr. Greenberg

Tongue Sticker-Outer

Tongue Sticker-Outer

Medical Staff at Hemby

Medical Staff at Hemby

Nurse Ania - and Mommy Ania

Nurse Ania - and Mommy Ania

Nurse Deb holds the Elvis Impersonator

Nurse Deb holds the Elvis Impersonator

Colin and his Australian Wombat

Colin and his Australian Wombat
Aunt Ania's Gift to Colin

Obi Wan Colinobi

Obi Wan Colinobi

In a Milk-Stupor

In a Milk-Stupor

What do you Think of That, Colin?

What do you Think of That, Colin?

Thumbs Up, Colin?

Thumbs Up, Colin?




Heisman Trophy Pose?

Heisman Trophy Pose?

Bathtime is my Favorite!

Bathtime is my Favorite!