Let me start tonight with the most important part of today's blog post (an update on Mr. Colin). Our little buddy started off yesterday not doing so well. His oxygen desaturations (desats) and bradycardic episodes (bradys) were becoming more frequent (as in 20-30 episodes in just half a day or so). It was enough to make the neonatologist nervous, and he decided to order blood labs to rule out another infection or maybe give some insight if something else were brewing. Well, the good news is that his labs were all normal! We think what was going on was that our little man is an exceptional mucus-producer! As he would form these nose-boogies, the bubble CPAP wouldn't quite work as well since his airways were essentially constricted. Once they would suction out the goobers, his episodes dramatically decreased. This is good on one hand, but the little guy has to endure suction tubes being shoved down each nostril every 3 hours now. It's tough to watch, because just as you and I would cry if someone did this to us, Colin lets the world know his displeasure too with his pitiful little birdy-cries :-( Since we've seemed to figure this out, he continues to have much fewer episodes. Let's hope that's all it was.
I've decided to include in tonight's blog an explanation of how this whole blog-thing got started; what it meant initially, and what meaning it has taken on today. We've all heard the expression "taking on a life of it's own". Well, that truly applies to Colin's blog. The purpose it serves today is a blessing by itself, and we had no possible thought or vision of what it has become.
Ania and I are fortunate in that we have such an abundance of wonderful, caring friends around us. We've really been blessed in that department. Well, I mentioned when I started writing this blog that the initial intent was to provide a vehicle for me/us to keep friends and family informed without necessarily having to respond to the mountain of emails that would pile up. I had never "blogged" before, but our good friend Jen Bunich sold us on it as a time-saver and just simply a neat thing to do. And it definitely served it's purpose! But as I started to write, it became more clear to me that this will someday be a special gift to our son too. When he's old enough to read it and comprehend the emotions that went into the writings, he would see not only that his parents loved and love his every ounce, but that he had so, so many people who truly cared for and were pulling for him too. But in order to make it "real", I had to be honest with Ania's and my feelings. That meant opening up with raw emotion to explain the journey in detail, which also meant giving others a somewhat unique "pass" into some of the intimate corners of our world. Not something that in the past I would be comfortable doing, but this isn't about me or Ania necessarily. It's about Colin, and I don't have any reservation sharing our love for him with the world.
As the entries accumulate, and the days pass, we get so much feedback from people who've expressed how much they've been touched by our story. Colin's story. That you, the reader, are genuinely interested in Colin's progess. You're touched, and in turn, we're touched. This blog has really become important for so many people, but in the end, it'll still be most important to Colin. And it is you who've turned this blog into something much more than we ever would have imagined. Thank you for rooting him (and us) on, and telling your friends and co-workers about Colin's blog. The human spirit is alive and well! Thank you to all!
Monday, December 3, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Look What I'm Holding!
Daddy's wedding band no longer slides up my arm. Now I can only fit 2 fingers inside!
Colin Voting
"Nadar For Change" - Vote Revealed!
Waiting to Vote is Fun!
Hanging out with Cousin
Colin and Cousin Janek with family
Colin testing his new stroller
I'm Cool Like Mike - the "real" Uncle
Ready For Some Football!
Go Panthers!!!
Eating His Stuffed Upper GI Toy
This is Some Good Esophagus!
Sweet Potatoes Rule!
Cousin Karolina
Friends Kate, Alex and Marta
Dr. Saunders (Colin's eye doc)
Dr. Melton - Mommy/Daddy Colleague
Colin's Audiology Appointment
If I Tug Really Hard...
Isabella, Colin & Royaa
Royaa with Mom & Dad
It tastes better on the elbow!
Isabella and the No-Look Grab :-)
Barium Lips - Yummy!
Nurse Chris
Dr. Rama
Dr. Greenberg
Tongue Sticker-Outer
Medical Staff at Hemby
Nurse Ania - and Mommy Ania
Nurse Deb holds the Elvis Impersonator
Colin and his Australian Wombat
Aunt Ania's Gift to Colin

7 comments:
Hey Colin,
This is my first blog too!!! By the time you read this (and "get it") there will likely be some other cooler way to communicate but I tell ya' this has been really fun. Way to keep pushing towards 2 lbs...you talked to my Dad didn't you...or was it Uncle Chewy? They eat like champions!!! Speaking of champions, I saw in another blog that you are a ROCKSTAR!!! that is super cool. I don't know any ROCKSTARS so I want your foot/finger prints, they should be worth millions soon!
So today was a good day, both the Steelers and Giants won yesterday (which is nice b/c my Mommy and Daddy were both very happy). I went to school today (aka: daycare) and had a really fun day. I got to play with glue in art and we played outside too. I went down the slide many, many times...it is one of my favorite things to do. Tonight I helped my Daddy make pancakes, then I helped eat them up! YUMMY :)
Well get some rest tonight and I hope your boogers go away...they are really annoying aren't they. I just realized that I can put my finger in my nose BUT...I am still learning that I SHOULD NOT put it in my mouth right afterwards. (I can report though that I did not eat any glue today!) Hooray for me.
Well I am heading to bed now and I will be sure to say our special prayer for you after we read my books! Have a great night buddy!
Your buddy - Brian Bracciante
Dear Colin,
Scott, Ella and I have read your blog and have been inspired by you and your parents daily. Although we are close friends with your Mommy and Daddy, I have never felt compelled to leave a message until tonight. Honestly, I must admit that I have been surprised by how open your parents have been able to be with their entries. I have also been incredibly proud of them for it. I just read your Dad's last entry about how they have come to view your blog. A parent's love is truly a beautiful thing. Your Mommy and Daddy are dear to us and so are you...and I felt moved to contribute to this wonderful gift that is being created for you and completely inspired by you. First, let me say...way to go Colin! We are amazed by all of your accomplishments and can feel your strong spirit all the way in Virginia! We are thankful and excited to be a part of your life. Second of all, excellent parent choice kiddo! They can be a little crazy at times, but I know you already feel how truly amazing they are...individually and as a team. And your Mom is beautiful! Finally, thank you. Thank you for reminding us how precious each and every minute is and for showing us how to give it your all. I know your journey into this world has been far from easy, but you are truly inspiring! Colin...You rock! With much love and daily prayers for you and yours, Amber
Colin,
What's up - Charlie here. Just learning to type myself (dad is helping). I remember when dad would stick that mucous sucker up my nose too. It really stinks, but hey, if you're breathing better, keep it up. I know you're small now but I had a dream last night that you were going to grow up and take some toys from me. Dad said not to worry..that we want Colin to grow up and get big so he can play with you at the Grove Park while our mommies are getting a massage in the spa. Mommy and daddy pray for you every night and they told people in their church to pray for you too. So I guess that means a lot of people over here are excited about you being here. I am excited too. I can't wait to meet you...I will just leave my toys at home if that's o.k. with you?
We love you. Charlie, Chris, and Ellyn Owens
Colin, Ania and Bobby,
What an amazing ride this story has become, I look forward to updates. But even more when I can meet you in person and spoil you, when Mommy and Daddy aren't looking of course! Great Job, keep it up you little tiger!
Elaine
Hey Colin, Bobby and Ania,
We love being able to keep up with how wonderful Colin is doing. I love the pics!!!! I can't wait to be able to see him again soon. Ania keep hanging in there and remember that your not by your self. Bobby you are doing a wonderful job showing everyone into your lives. I love you all and will see you soon.
hey rockstar!
lying on your parents' chests, you look as snug as a bug in a rug! i must say, i'm a bit suspicious of your parents though...your mommy tells me these stories of getting up every 2 hours for "milking time", visiting you at the hospital every available minute, and absolutely no sleep. but i'm thinking, "these people look WAY too good to be sleep-deprived!". mommy looks like a model and daddy looks like he should be on the cover of GQ! so, i'm thinking either you have some awesome genes or there's something fishy here. hmmmm....
i'm sure you'll never doubt your parents' love for you, but if you do, just take a look at the close-up picture of you and mommy...i don't think i've ever seen such a look of complete love on anyone's face! and when i talk to your mommy, i hear SO much love and joy in her voice that it brings tears to my eyes!
much love from your groupie,
aunt celeste
Hi Colin, Your Mommy and Daddy sure do have a way with words! I love reading about you and your progress! And I love to read the touching stories about how much your parents, family, friends, nurses, etc. love you!! You have made a big impact for a guy under two pounds!! =)
Love you, Megan
Post a Comment