Thursday, December 20, 2007

More Stories To Warm The Heart

Stories and happenings that simply put a smile on our faces:
1. We knew that prior to Colin being born, the perinatologists and neonatologists had met together to conference about what Colin's prognosis would be and how to manage him once he was delivered. What we didn't know was what specifically was discussed. One of the neonatologists was offering more hope and optimism than his colleagues about what Colin's condition could be, but the overall consensus from the remaining doctors was for the neonatal staff to "be prepared" that Colin may not make it. Or if he did, he'd be in really poor condition. Apparently Colin wanted to prove that one doctor correct, and the others wrong :-)
2. Colin had a new nurse last night. Normally, I don't give out names - even first names - of the staff and doctors that take care of him, but this is one exception: her name is Anna. This is the formal spelling of Ania. Know where this is heading? Yes - Anna is Polish! She was born there, and moved to the States when she was 9. You can imagine our excitement, but especially Ania's excitement. Next thing I know, Anna and Ania were going back and forth speaking Polish and then I was told that Ania had asked Anna to be one of Colin's Primary nurses and Anna agreed! So Anna will help teach Colin Polish while he's in the ICN. He'll probably be fluent by the time he gets out :-) I'm just glad I was able to give my opinion on selecting Anna as one of Colin's Primaries (see, sometimes decisions in marriage are made unilaterally - kind of like when I told - not asked - Ania I was going to buy a new car recently. Only that one didn't work out in my favor - another unilateral decision by Ania). Do you see a pattern here? Ha ha! Hey, I've got to poke fun at my otherwise amazing wife every now and then (I don't want her to think she's perfect or anything) ;-) Truth is, Anna seems great and it's really cute to know that our 50% Polish son has his first Polish girlfriend.
3. Another one of Colin's Primaries was having a conversation with one of the neonatologists about how the advent of bubble CPAP (versus ventilation) has helped babies tremendously over the last 2 or so years that they've been using it. As they specifically discussed Colin, the neonatologist said that it was hard to wrap his mind around how well Colin, starting out so small, can basically breath nearly the entire time on essentially room air because "babies his size just don't do that". Colin has had "whiffs" of oxygen on brief occasions, but even then, it's been very little amounts. I guess Colin forgot to read the Preemie manual about how he "should" be. Defiant little one :-)

3 comments:

Nikola said...

Wow, that's really neat that Colin has a Polish nurse and that she came over to the States about the age we were when we came. I'm glad she has agreed to be his primary -- it just adds that extra little bond.

It's really amazing how Colin has defied the odds. I just met a girl at my ob's office today that's pregnant and was telling me that when she was younger (age 12) she had a very aggressive form of leukemia. The doctors told her family to start arranging for a funeral and to alert all relatives. They gave her a very low percentage chance of survival. Well, she defied all of the odds (20 years ago leukemia was much more deadly than it is today). Then, doctors thought that because of the strong chemo treatments she received she wouldn't be able to conceive. Well, there she was pregnant and doing very well.

It's stories like hers and Colin's that make me remember never to give up on anyone and to believe in the possibilities.

Just thought i'd share that with you guys.

love,

Aunt Nikola

Aldona said...

Never give up indeed, not on any child, especially
little healthy dude like Colin, who's only challenge
is that he was born little early.
We love him for many different
reasons like him defying the odds, being half
Polish and having a new primary nurse Anna,
who's also Polish and having the most courageous parents and being under their constant loving care.
You my little angel, you are the most beautiful Christmas present that a parent could ask for
and you, my boy will sit on your parents' laps in front of your first home Christmas tree 'marveling' its beauty and magic.
I wish you well my friends and I hold you tight
in my thoughts.
God is good!

Love,

Aldona and Robert

P.S. After revealing himself more, Colinek looks like his daddy, who is, according to Ania, the
cutest guy in the Charlotte area and was the cutest
in Wichita, Kansas good 15 years ago.

Charlotte Smarty Pants said...

Love this posting. Since I do not really understand how the NICU works, I imagine the process of asking a nurse to be your primary like asking someone to be your boyfriend/girlfriend. Like... "Will you...be...our...primary?" You will? Yay! I am sure it's just like that, riught?? ! Ha ha.

Look What I'm Holding!

Look What I'm Holding!
Daddy's wedding band no longer slides up my arm. Now I can only fit 2 fingers inside!



Colin Voting

Colin Voting

"Nadar For Change" - Vote Revealed!

"Nadar For Change" - Vote Revealed!

Waiting to Vote is Fun!

Waiting to Vote is Fun!


Hanging out with Cousin

Hanging out with Cousin

Colin and Cousin Janek with family

Colin and Cousin Janek with family

Colin testing his new stroller

Colin testing his new stroller

I'm Cool Like Mike - the "real" Uncle

I'm Cool Like Mike - the "real" Uncle






Ready For Some Football!

Ready For Some Football!

Go Panthers!!!

Go Panthers!!!

Eating His Stuffed Upper GI Toy

Eating His Stuffed Upper GI Toy
This is Some Good Esophagus!

Sweet Potatoes Rule!

Sweet Potatoes Rule!

Cousin Karolina

Cousin Karolina

Friends Kate, Alex and Marta

Friends Kate, Alex and Marta

Dr. Saunders (Colin's eye doc)

Dr. Saunders (Colin's eye doc)

Dr. Melton - Mommy/Daddy Colleague

Dr. Melton - Mommy/Daddy Colleague

Colin's Audiology Appointment

Colin's Audiology Appointment




If I Tug Really Hard...

If I Tug Really Hard...

Isabella, Colin & Royaa

Isabella, Colin & Royaa

Royaa with Mom & Dad

Royaa with Mom & Dad
It tastes better on the elbow!

Isabella and the No-Look Grab :-)

Isabella and the No-Look Grab :-)

Barium Lips - Yummy!

Barium Lips - Yummy!

Nurse Chris

Nurse Chris

Dr. Rama

Dr. Rama

Dr. Greenberg

Dr. Greenberg

Tongue Sticker-Outer

Tongue Sticker-Outer

Medical Staff at Hemby

Medical Staff at Hemby

Nurse Ania - and Mommy Ania

Nurse Ania - and Mommy Ania

Nurse Deb holds the Elvis Impersonator

Nurse Deb holds the Elvis Impersonator

Colin and his Australian Wombat

Colin and his Australian Wombat
Aunt Ania's Gift to Colin

Obi Wan Colinobi

Obi Wan Colinobi

In a Milk-Stupor

In a Milk-Stupor

What do you Think of That, Colin?

What do you Think of That, Colin?

Thumbs Up, Colin?

Thumbs Up, Colin?




Heisman Trophy Pose?

Heisman Trophy Pose?

Bathtime is my Favorite!

Bathtime is my Favorite!