Wednesday, January 16, 2008

A Virus Attacks - Mom and Dad

Colin had a great day yesterday and overnight. I can't say the same for the parents. Ania and I decided to catch a virus. Achy, chest congestion, cough and malaise - yuk. No fever, though. I bring this up only because yesterday was the first day since Colin was born that we didn't stay by his side. It was brutal not being with him; it would be much, much more brutal if we passed along to Colin the bugs that were knocking us back. So, in his best interest, we stayed away. Darn viruses.
Yesterday, the doctors added some key vitamins and an iron supplement once a day to Colin's diet. The iron will help with the anemia since he's hanging at the lowest end of the hematocrit scale prior to the doctors being forced to order another blood transfusion. He remains asymptomatic for anemia, so they're trying to let Colin's bone marrow figure it out. Produce those reticulocytes, Buddy! We don't want any more transfusions, please :-)
We received some more encouraging news yesterday: Colin, once again, gained just about an ounce in a 24-hour period. He's now up to 2 pounds, 10.2 ounces. He's up and down on his bottle feedings, but it appears that the hind milk, coupled with his tolerance of MCT oil is starting to pay dividends. Now if he can just keep up this pace. We were hoping for 4 pounds by the end of January, but if we get 3.5 pounds, we'll take it!

2 comments:

Aldona said...

You are such a wonderful parents, never missed a day
with your son. Colin is so lucky to have you by his side.
Take care of yourselves and each other.
Get better soon and have a blessed day!

Love,

Aldona

Anonymous said...

Praise God for no leucomalacia!!!!!! I couldn't be happier for you all! Did the docs decide to start him on the actigal?
I'm so thankful for his progress...he truly is a miracle!
praying for you all,
love, Celeste

Look What I'm Holding!

Look What I'm Holding!
Daddy's wedding band no longer slides up my arm. Now I can only fit 2 fingers inside!



Colin Voting

Colin Voting

"Nadar For Change" - Vote Revealed!

"Nadar For Change" - Vote Revealed!

Waiting to Vote is Fun!

Waiting to Vote is Fun!


Hanging out with Cousin

Hanging out with Cousin

Colin and Cousin Janek with family

Colin and Cousin Janek with family

Colin testing his new stroller

Colin testing his new stroller

I'm Cool Like Mike - the "real" Uncle

I'm Cool Like Mike - the "real" Uncle






Ready For Some Football!

Ready For Some Football!

Go Panthers!!!

Go Panthers!!!

Eating His Stuffed Upper GI Toy

Eating His Stuffed Upper GI Toy
This is Some Good Esophagus!

Sweet Potatoes Rule!

Sweet Potatoes Rule!

Cousin Karolina

Cousin Karolina

Friends Kate, Alex and Marta

Friends Kate, Alex and Marta

Dr. Saunders (Colin's eye doc)

Dr. Saunders (Colin's eye doc)

Dr. Melton - Mommy/Daddy Colleague

Dr. Melton - Mommy/Daddy Colleague

Colin's Audiology Appointment

Colin's Audiology Appointment




If I Tug Really Hard...

If I Tug Really Hard...

Isabella, Colin & Royaa

Isabella, Colin & Royaa

Royaa with Mom & Dad

Royaa with Mom & Dad
It tastes better on the elbow!

Isabella and the No-Look Grab :-)

Isabella and the No-Look Grab :-)

Barium Lips - Yummy!

Barium Lips - Yummy!

Nurse Chris

Nurse Chris

Dr. Rama

Dr. Rama

Dr. Greenberg

Dr. Greenberg

Tongue Sticker-Outer

Tongue Sticker-Outer

Medical Staff at Hemby

Medical Staff at Hemby

Nurse Ania - and Mommy Ania

Nurse Ania - and Mommy Ania

Nurse Deb holds the Elvis Impersonator

Nurse Deb holds the Elvis Impersonator

Colin and his Australian Wombat

Colin and his Australian Wombat
Aunt Ania's Gift to Colin

Obi Wan Colinobi

Obi Wan Colinobi

In a Milk-Stupor

In a Milk-Stupor

What do you Think of That, Colin?

What do you Think of That, Colin?

Thumbs Up, Colin?

Thumbs Up, Colin?




Heisman Trophy Pose?

Heisman Trophy Pose?

Bathtime is my Favorite!

Bathtime is my Favorite!