Thursday, January 24, 2008

Getting His Way

Thank you for all the nice, supportive comments on yesterday's blog. Clearly we were at a low point, and your comments did help, so thank you. Colin apparently knew mom and dad were down too as he had a much better day yesterday. Since having his transfusion, he's become more active and at the same time, sleeps more soundly. I held him last night during one of his feedings. Mom and I just gazed at him, watching his subtle, little movements: a slight turn of the mouth, a momentary smile (passing gas), a twinkle of the nose. He's just so precious, we can't get enough of him!
It's funny how Colin can change the doctor's plans too. Just as of a couple days ago, the doctors decided to hold bottle feedings for 2 weeks so he wouldn't exert too much energy and burn too many calories while eating. Well, Colin definitely didn't like that plan. He was getting more and more upset with each tube feeding, finally yanking out the very-well-taped feeding tube out of his nose. He would carry on so much that he was clearly burning more calories protesting not getting a bottle than he would if they just gave him the darn bottle. So, the doctors caved in yesterday and decided he could have 1 bottle per 12 hour shift. The first one he got yesterday, his eyes fluttered when the milk hit his mouth: a little surprised that he was sucking and was actually getting milk to come out :-) A paci, this was not! He ate with gusto, knocking that bottle down in 8 minutes (usually, they give him up to 30 minutes to finish the bottle)! Then, early this morning, they gave him another one. Since he's back on ad lib feeding (giving him as much as he will take), he managed to down 30 cc's this time (his tube feedings are set for 24 cc's). This is a really good sign, and as the days go on, they'll start letting him bottle feed more frequently. That is, as long as Colin agrees with it. He might have other plans ;-)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad he's resumed his normal gusto!

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to leave some words of encouragement for you guys! My niece was a 27 weeker a little over 2 years ago. Today, she's a vibrant, beautiful, completely healthy toddler. She went through many of the same battles as Colin and came through with flying colors, just as I'm sure he will. (she pulled that feeding tube out of her nose too many times to count!) Keep up the positive spirits. Colin can definitely tell when you're up or down, so keep on the up and up! God bless and good luck! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Superstar!
That's my man! I've heard that stars are demanding in getting their own way...guess it's true! I love it! Way to be persistent Colin...you got to show those docs who's REALLY running the show here!
Much love from your fan, Aunt Celeste

Anonymous said...

ok ok...i'm an idiot, and clearly not too computer savvy as i JUST learned how to post a comment....UGH!

it sounds to me like the little chunky monkey has his mom's fiestiness and his dad's determination - go colin go!!! you keep up with that good appetite. you rock the house!!

we love you, the lupes

Karla Rice said...

Hi Ania, Bobby and now Colin. I talked to Michelle Dent (Call) last week and she informed about Colin being born early.
First and foremost, congratulations on your beautiful baby boy. I am amazed at how fully developed they are even when born so early. I read your blog yesterday (I just got the address) and I was so sad, but I was very happy to read that today things have changed dramatically.
God has a wonderful and abundant plan for Colin's life. He did not want Colin to be born early but unfortunately, things happen.
However, He will give you the strength you need and all of us to lift you up in prayer.
I expect miraculous progress everyday in Colin's development.
I miss you guys and once again, congratulations.
I'll recheck your blog to see how you are all doing.

Anonymous said...

I know things can be very rough at times, but hang in there. Collin is a fighter and both of you are too. We enjoy the good moments with you, and feel the pain with you when things don't go well. We continue to keep you all in our prayers.

Gary Brough

Look What I'm Holding!

Look What I'm Holding!
Daddy's wedding band no longer slides up my arm. Now I can only fit 2 fingers inside!



Colin Voting

Colin Voting

"Nadar For Change" - Vote Revealed!

"Nadar For Change" - Vote Revealed!

Waiting to Vote is Fun!

Waiting to Vote is Fun!


Hanging out with Cousin

Hanging out with Cousin

Colin and Cousin Janek with family

Colin and Cousin Janek with family

Colin testing his new stroller

Colin testing his new stroller

I'm Cool Like Mike - the "real" Uncle

I'm Cool Like Mike - the "real" Uncle






Ready For Some Football!

Ready For Some Football!

Go Panthers!!!

Go Panthers!!!

Eating His Stuffed Upper GI Toy

Eating His Stuffed Upper GI Toy
This is Some Good Esophagus!

Sweet Potatoes Rule!

Sweet Potatoes Rule!

Cousin Karolina

Cousin Karolina

Friends Kate, Alex and Marta

Friends Kate, Alex and Marta

Dr. Saunders (Colin's eye doc)

Dr. Saunders (Colin's eye doc)

Dr. Melton - Mommy/Daddy Colleague

Dr. Melton - Mommy/Daddy Colleague

Colin's Audiology Appointment

Colin's Audiology Appointment




If I Tug Really Hard...

If I Tug Really Hard...

Isabella, Colin & Royaa

Isabella, Colin & Royaa

Royaa with Mom & Dad

Royaa with Mom & Dad
It tastes better on the elbow!

Isabella and the No-Look Grab :-)

Isabella and the No-Look Grab :-)

Barium Lips - Yummy!

Barium Lips - Yummy!

Nurse Chris

Nurse Chris

Dr. Rama

Dr. Rama

Dr. Greenberg

Dr. Greenberg

Tongue Sticker-Outer

Tongue Sticker-Outer

Medical Staff at Hemby

Medical Staff at Hemby

Nurse Ania - and Mommy Ania

Nurse Ania - and Mommy Ania

Nurse Deb holds the Elvis Impersonator

Nurse Deb holds the Elvis Impersonator

Colin and his Australian Wombat

Colin and his Australian Wombat
Aunt Ania's Gift to Colin

Obi Wan Colinobi

Obi Wan Colinobi

In a Milk-Stupor

In a Milk-Stupor

What do you Think of That, Colin?

What do you Think of That, Colin?

Thumbs Up, Colin?

Thumbs Up, Colin?




Heisman Trophy Pose?

Heisman Trophy Pose?

Bathtime is my Favorite!

Bathtime is my Favorite!