Monday, January 28, 2008

NO MORE TUBES!!! (Addended Entry)

My original post had some misinformation in it. I've corrected the entry below - sorry!

My Little Buddy! He's gone 24 hours now taking bottles only! His reward? No more feeding tube! Yeah!! Not just "yeah", this is a jumping up and down, making tons of noise kind of "yeah"! ;-) This is the first time in Colin's life he actually gets to hang out with nothing in him - no tubes, no IV's - nothing. Ah, it must feel so good :-) Daddy will get some pictures of his tube-free baby and post them soon! You go Colin!!!
Monday's are lab days - when they draw blood to check various blood chemistry levels. The doctors had warned us that when Colin started on actigall, his bilirubin levels (jaundice) would initially increase. It did, but only slightly (now at 6 from 5.9 the week prior). You can tell from his complection that he's still jaundiced: he's definitely got a yellow tint to him. Regardless, the medicine will get his levels to the normal range as he continues to take it over the next several weeks to a few months.
We're still waiting on his hematocrit results. Maybe now that our Monkey is Chunky (3 pounds, 3 ounces by the way), his bone marrow will start producing those reticulocytes which will then turn into red blood cells? That would be nice. I'd like to have all the blood transfusions behind us. There should be a rule that double-digit transfusions are not allowed. With 7 complete and 2 platelet transfusions (9 total), Colin has had his fair share :-)
Lastly, Colin had his eyes examined over the weekend, and still no ROP! His retina is developing essentially on schedule, though not fully formed. This is definitely unusual that he doesn't have at least some level of ROP, but I'm not complaining! His eye doctor told us from the start that due to Colin's size and age, he had a 90% chance of developing it. What a relief that he's doing well at the moment. Just another thing to make mommy and daddy proud!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That all sounds good - even the elevated bilirubin since they wree expecting that!

Katie LG said...

What great news. We are all cheering for your super little guy!

Aldona said...

Mr. Colin did climb the sizable mountain in the past few days, in fact 3 pounds and 3 ounces of solid rock.

Now our chubby fellow needs some time to enjoy this climax, collect a few rewards (no tubes, more bottle time, etc.) and warm up for the next challenge - increasing morale and productivity among his bros - Red Blood Cells.

I don't know about You, but I DARE him to do it within the next week or so... Wake me up when it happens as I am going to RELAX now!

Anonymous said...

Hi Colin!
I see that you are doing very well.You are a unique child with a determined mind.I can't wait till you get out of that hospital, and be with your loving parents.
Lots of biiiiiig hugs!

Kuba

Nikola said...

Yea for no more tubes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so thrilled to hear that. It's amazing how quickly things can turn for the best. Here's to many, many more exciting happening in the next few weeks.

Love you Colinek,

Aunt Nikola

Look What I'm Holding!

Look What I'm Holding!
Daddy's wedding band no longer slides up my arm. Now I can only fit 2 fingers inside!



Colin Voting

Colin Voting

"Nadar For Change" - Vote Revealed!

"Nadar For Change" - Vote Revealed!

Waiting to Vote is Fun!

Waiting to Vote is Fun!


Hanging out with Cousin

Hanging out with Cousin

Colin and Cousin Janek with family

Colin and Cousin Janek with family

Colin testing his new stroller

Colin testing his new stroller

I'm Cool Like Mike - the "real" Uncle

I'm Cool Like Mike - the "real" Uncle






Ready For Some Football!

Ready For Some Football!

Go Panthers!!!

Go Panthers!!!

Eating His Stuffed Upper GI Toy

Eating His Stuffed Upper GI Toy
This is Some Good Esophagus!

Sweet Potatoes Rule!

Sweet Potatoes Rule!

Cousin Karolina

Cousin Karolina

Friends Kate, Alex and Marta

Friends Kate, Alex and Marta

Dr. Saunders (Colin's eye doc)

Dr. Saunders (Colin's eye doc)

Dr. Melton - Mommy/Daddy Colleague

Dr. Melton - Mommy/Daddy Colleague

Colin's Audiology Appointment

Colin's Audiology Appointment




If I Tug Really Hard...

If I Tug Really Hard...

Isabella, Colin & Royaa

Isabella, Colin & Royaa

Royaa with Mom & Dad

Royaa with Mom & Dad
It tastes better on the elbow!

Isabella and the No-Look Grab :-)

Isabella and the No-Look Grab :-)

Barium Lips - Yummy!

Barium Lips - Yummy!

Nurse Chris

Nurse Chris

Dr. Rama

Dr. Rama

Dr. Greenberg

Dr. Greenberg

Tongue Sticker-Outer

Tongue Sticker-Outer

Medical Staff at Hemby

Medical Staff at Hemby

Nurse Ania - and Mommy Ania

Nurse Ania - and Mommy Ania

Nurse Deb holds the Elvis Impersonator

Nurse Deb holds the Elvis Impersonator

Colin and his Australian Wombat

Colin and his Australian Wombat
Aunt Ania's Gift to Colin

Obi Wan Colinobi

Obi Wan Colinobi

In a Milk-Stupor

In a Milk-Stupor

What do you Think of That, Colin?

What do you Think of That, Colin?

Thumbs Up, Colin?

Thumbs Up, Colin?




Heisman Trophy Pose?

Heisman Trophy Pose?

Bathtime is my Favorite!

Bathtime is my Favorite!