Saturday, January 5, 2008

Don't Blink, Or You'll Miss (a Lot)

There's a saying in certain parts of the midwest: "Just wait a few minutes and the weather will change". That's an expression that they try to use in the Carolina's too, but it's coming from folks who've never lived in Tornado Alley! Such naivity on their part! ;-) That's what it feels like, though, being a parent of a child in the ICN. Literally, things can change so fast - for better, or worse. Keeping up is a chore in and of itself.
Just in the last 24 hours, Colin has had numerous (good) changes: he is already back up on his max feedings, he is back to doing room-air trials, he will start breast and/or bottle feeding again tomorrow, the ilius has resolved, they've discontinued the hyperal, they took all the IV lines out - yeah! - and he's picked back up all the weight he lost and then some and is now at 2 pounds 6.3 ounces!
Regarding the room-air trials, he went 2 hours yesterday on his own, but when on the canula, he only requires 1 liter of high flow (a tiny amount) to keep him happy. He's done this for a couple days now, so the prevailing thought is that we're getting really close to him not needing any assistance with breathing. That'll be so nice for him to get those nose prongs out!
Daddy got to Kangaroo his little guy last night too. He's getting so much more active, moving his head side to side and lifting his head up (mini push-ups). I felt very inadequate at one moment when Colin starting sucking on my hairy chest! Poor little guy had just started being fed through his tube and was rooting for a nipple to latch on to - he was hungry. It was cute and pitiful at the same time. A fleeting thought ran through my head that this was the one moment in my life when I actually would be okay if I had milk-laden boobies. ;-) What a special thing that must be for mommies to experience! Then my senses came, and I decided that we'll keep the boobies on mommy. She looks better with them anyway ;-)

3 comments:

Aldona said...

I am so happy for you my friends.
Bobby, I can see your face smiling
when you were writing this last posting.
Life is beautiful, not easy, sometimes
extremely hard and hash, but still
beautiful.
Have a blessed day!

Aldona

Nikola said...

Yes, life is beautiful. Thank goodness for Colin in our lives.

Aunt Nikola

Anonymous said...

Dr. Hamp,
You ain't right...lol
It's great to hear Colin is doing well.

Lee

Look What I'm Holding!

Look What I'm Holding!
Daddy's wedding band no longer slides up my arm. Now I can only fit 2 fingers inside!



Colin Voting

Colin Voting

"Nadar For Change" - Vote Revealed!

"Nadar For Change" - Vote Revealed!

Waiting to Vote is Fun!

Waiting to Vote is Fun!


Hanging out with Cousin

Hanging out with Cousin

Colin and Cousin Janek with family

Colin and Cousin Janek with family

Colin testing his new stroller

Colin testing his new stroller

I'm Cool Like Mike - the "real" Uncle

I'm Cool Like Mike - the "real" Uncle






Ready For Some Football!

Ready For Some Football!

Go Panthers!!!

Go Panthers!!!

Eating His Stuffed Upper GI Toy

Eating His Stuffed Upper GI Toy
This is Some Good Esophagus!

Sweet Potatoes Rule!

Sweet Potatoes Rule!

Cousin Karolina

Cousin Karolina

Friends Kate, Alex and Marta

Friends Kate, Alex and Marta

Dr. Saunders (Colin's eye doc)

Dr. Saunders (Colin's eye doc)

Dr. Melton - Mommy/Daddy Colleague

Dr. Melton - Mommy/Daddy Colleague

Colin's Audiology Appointment

Colin's Audiology Appointment




If I Tug Really Hard...

If I Tug Really Hard...

Isabella, Colin & Royaa

Isabella, Colin & Royaa

Royaa with Mom & Dad

Royaa with Mom & Dad
It tastes better on the elbow!

Isabella and the No-Look Grab :-)

Isabella and the No-Look Grab :-)

Barium Lips - Yummy!

Barium Lips - Yummy!

Nurse Chris

Nurse Chris

Dr. Rama

Dr. Rama

Dr. Greenberg

Dr. Greenberg

Tongue Sticker-Outer

Tongue Sticker-Outer

Medical Staff at Hemby

Medical Staff at Hemby

Nurse Ania - and Mommy Ania

Nurse Ania - and Mommy Ania

Nurse Deb holds the Elvis Impersonator

Nurse Deb holds the Elvis Impersonator

Colin and his Australian Wombat

Colin and his Australian Wombat
Aunt Ania's Gift to Colin

Obi Wan Colinobi

Obi Wan Colinobi

In a Milk-Stupor

In a Milk-Stupor

What do you Think of That, Colin?

What do you Think of That, Colin?

Thumbs Up, Colin?

Thumbs Up, Colin?




Heisman Trophy Pose?

Heisman Trophy Pose?

Bathtime is my Favorite!

Bathtime is my Favorite!